Corrosion

Azure

I have a '99 Mustang V6, all stock, with a Motorcraft (Ford brand) battery in it. I get corrosion like mad on the negative battery terminal - a blue-green-white powder, very fine, which comes right off on the top layers but is pretty ingrained on the terminal itself. What's this corrosion a symptom of, and is it going to give me problems as I install my new system? (4xKenwood 5x8 eXcelon speakers, Pioneer 4ch amp, all speakers amped) What can I do to keep it from corroding?

The Motorcraft battery has been in there since I got the car two years ago and it's run 40k miles since. Should I just drop in a new battery? I very occasionally get voltage drops while driving normally, without my audio blasting (lights dim)

Corrosion is caused by a chemical reaction between a metal, oxygen, and water (the oxygen and water are naturally in the air). This is usually a slow process, but when salts are also exposed, the reaction can take place much quicker. Your best bet is to use a metal brush to brush off all the corroded metal, and then follow up with some anti-corrosion dialectric coating / spray. This should help you out tremendously, and if applied right, it should eliminate the problem completely.

Best Wishes.

It is a product of not having the best possible connection between the terminal and the post. The current passing through the connection combined with moisture from the air causes an electrolytic reaction.

Switch to plated terminals. Its the copper in the terminal that is oxidizing. Make sure that you clean the post really well with a post brush and make sure that the new terminal is snug on the post.

I agree with helotaxi. I work with corrosion, and probably a galvanic reaction between dissimilar metals, in which current accelerated the corrosion reaction is to blame. Try switching the connector metal, or reducing the cathodic surface area by applying a hydrophobic grease to the connector. By the way, it appears that the terminal is your cathode (Noble ) and the connector was the anode (active).

I have a 94 v6 also, same exact thing happens to me it corrodes pretty quickly. i have a new battery it still does it. ill probably switch the posts out too.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Azure

Azure
Cincinnati
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
NoPh33rRaCiNg