Copper vs Aluminum voice coils

Participant count
  • Participant list

Sguirrelfeather

Senior VIP Member
I tried using the search feature, but it appears to be down, so I guess I'll ask. What are the primary differences/pros/cons of copper vs aluminum voice coils? I know flatwound helps dissipate heat better, allowing for more power handling. Other than that, what I have seen makes no sense to me. I have seen the higher end units using aluminum rather than copper....but I would have thought the opposite would be true since copper dissipates heat better and conducts electricity better. I must be missing something.

I tried using the search feature, but it appears to be down, so I guess I'll ask. What are the primary differences/pros/cons of copper vs aluminum voice coils? I know flatwound helps dissipate heat better, allowing for more power handling. Other than that, what I have seen makes no sense to me. I have seen the higher end units using aluminum rather than copper....but I would have thought the opposite would be true since copper dissipates heat better and conducts electricity better. I must be missing something.

^^^^ summarzing that thread if you too lazy to read...

aluminium is much lighter which lowers MMS which gives greater efficiency which means a louder sub most of the times. copper is a better conductor but usually you can only do minimal wounds before its weight messes with the efficiency of the sub so cooling factor is actually not that great. Aluminium cools faster than copper due to how much more winds and layers you can do vs copper and still have a much lower weight. However most aluminium coil subs have higher FS which tend to be peaky and better for one note burps if used with regular stiff spider. You use softer spiders or less spiders but with that you can run into mechanical limits faster as well. Its a pretty delicate balancing act from what i see.

Keeping it simple if you want to burp, get factory aluminium. If you want daily, get copper. If you know someone that can build an amazing custom sub, you can have aluminium that can be used for daily that will get loud and sound great.

2 examples;

SQ hdc3 copper vs aluminum

Stock SA (copper) vs SA Spl (aluminum)

In both cases it equals a lighter cone, higher FS and more efficiency. I hate to overgeneralize car audio but copper is good for daily and aluminum is better for burping

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.