Compustar vs Prestige

Holty
10+ year member

Hey Guys, i'm looking for specific feedback on these two models of remote starts / alarms:

Compustar RF-P2W901-SS

Prestige SS9000

Does anyone have any direct experience with either one of these two systems? I would love to hear from you please, and also how much you paid to have them installed and which GM bypass modules were used in your installation. Thank you.

Id go with CompuStar way before anything made by Audiovox, personally.

Which bypass to use completely depends on what car you have....

I have a prestige (not sure of the model off hand) its one of their mid priced models. I have nothing to say but good things. I have the car link app which lets me start my vehicle from anywhere. I also have the turbo timer. I have had viper in the past and they make great alarms too, but the only place in my area that installs them is Best Buy and I would rather not have to deal with the Geeks.

I've been running Compustar for years..

I have the 2 way pager system like the RF-P2W901-SS..

Just a little bit older, but still very reliable..

Make sure you do not lose your manual though..

You will need it at some point..

The remotes are a little bit confusing at first..

The pager remote controls all functions..

The basic remote controls basic functions only..

Good luck!

Hey guys, thanks for the input. I ended up going with the Compustar RF-P2W901-SS. So far it's been great. I got it installed for $490. I have not really had a chance to test out the range though.

I'm so used to Vipers, there are a couple things about the Compustar that is taking some getting used to. When you remote start, the remote beeps like 50 times (really its just 5 but seems like 50) and the truck beeps twice. Also the remote has a clock on it, but it wont keep time correctly. Every 12hrs it is off by 5 mins or so and gets worse with time. Apparently its a known issue, my installer is waiting for a new release of remotes to get mine replaced.

not surprised... Ive ran compustars in the past and they are glitchy. I HATE the majorly delayed response of them, I'm talking like a solid 3 seconds between when you press a button, and the action happens at the car regardless of distance. Have they fixed that?

The range however, in my experience, was top notch, equally or better than anything on the market.

not surprised... Ive ran compustars in the past and they are glitchy. I HATE the majorly delayed response of them, I'm talking like a solid 3 seconds between when you press a button, and the action happens at the car regardless of distance. Have they fixed that?
The range however, in my experience, was top notch, equally or better than anything on the market.
So far the Compustar has been rock solid. Its funny you mentioned the major delay with response because my Viper 5901 on my last car had major delays when pressing the button on the remote, i hated it. Thats one of the main reasons why i didn't want another viper this time around and i wanted to try something new. My compustar has no delay at all, its been perfect every time (so far). I also have another truck with a Viper 791xv and it does not have any delays.

Last edited by a moderator:
why not install it yourself...they are about as simple to install as hooking up a deck hardwired in the dash of most cars...its just connecting wires to the right places and a couple of sensors to hook up...it shouldnt take over 3 hours tops from start to finish...you can get free wiring for your car from Remote Car Starter & Keyless Entry Systems and a few other sites

Its called having a warranty on a product because its installed by authorized reseller.

So far the Compustar has been rock solid. Its funny you mentioned the major delay with response because my Viper 5901 on my last car had major delays when pressing the button on the remote, i hated it. Thats one of the main reasons why i didn't want another viper this time around and i wanted to try something new. My compustar has no delay at all, its been perfect every time (so far). I also have another truck with a Viper 791xv and it does not have any delays.

yeah the 5901 (and all equivalents) the delay is bad, I'll agree. its when they went to spread spectrum style tech. Even the predecessor 5900 series viper's had more delay. the 791xv was INSTANT, I love that unit, and still run these units to this day.

Seems like Compustar fixed the issue, which is great.

This Compustar has a ton of feature i've never even heard of before. One feature is called RPS? I've read the manual a couple times and it says its "optional" but does not list it needing additional components to be installed so i'm wondering, how does it work exactly?

why not install it yourself...they are about as simple to install as hooking up a deck hardwired in the dash of most cars...its just connecting wires to the right places and a couple of sensors to hook up...it shouldnt take over 3 hours tops from start to finish...you can get free wiring for your car from Remote Car Starter & Keyless Entry Systems and a few other sites
There are plenty of cars that are more difficult than your run of the mill honda/toyota... a head unit is pretty basic compared to an alarm. Also quality of install is important...anyone can hack something in a dash, but longevity then comes into question

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Holty

10+ year member
Holty
Pittsburgh, PA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from