Combining ported and sealed?

CVP71
10+ year member

Hey everyone, I'm having a local builder build a box for me. He'll be taking measurements on Tuesday. I am debating over ported or sealed. What would happen if one was to build a two sub enclosure with one side ported and the other sealed? Would you get the best of both worlds or would you have a complete disaster on your hands? SQ is a big deal to me.

Would it pretty much be a bandpass box?

He's building the box around an Ascendant Audio Havoc 12. I have contemplated purchasing two AA Chaos 12's.

Thanks.

One on each side of the cone? So the motor is in one box and the front of the sub is hitting into another enclosure?

I like tuned to 30 personally //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

One on each side of the cone? So the motor is in one box and the front of the sub is hitting into another enclosure?
I know nothing about building enclosures and haven't tested different configurations... But this is what I was talking about.

BoxIdea.png

pick one. I would suggest a ported enclosure with a fairly low tuning. I prefer sealed boxes, but thats the way I like the sound of a ported

I guess if I have to pick ONE then I will. I was just curious about this kind of configuration. I tried to google it and found only one reference to anything like it but, nobody replied to that persons thread. I just wonder if that would sound good or not.

I have a friend with 2 dd 1508's sealed behind the seat and 1510 in a box in place of his console. The box is tuned too high and this sounds like ****, but it would sound decent with a lower tuning. I'm with everyone else. Tune low and use a big box.

I have a friend with 2 dd 1508's sealed behind the seat and 1510 in a box in place of his console. The box is tuned too high and this sounds like ****, but it would sound decent with a lower tuning. I'm with everyone else. Tune low and use a big box.
So he's got sealed behind his seat and ported in place of his console?

On paper, I don't think that there is anything wrong with the idea of both a sealed and ported box. However, I think that it would take a lot of effort to get it to sound right. Maybe even impossible if they were driven on the same channel by the same amp and the same baffle. I think that you would have issues of the woofers working against each other and sounding muddy. However, put them on different crossovers, eq channels, amps, baffles, etc and you can make most anything work with enough time, energy, money and the proper tools. Just a thought though, technically there is no difference between this design and using multiple manufacturer's subs in differently (or even same) tuned boxes... Just more variables to make it sound right. In the end, the sound that would come out of this type of setup would probably not sound much, if any, better than a simpler ported or sealed setup.

Of course I could be wrong... Why don't you try it and let us know the results?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.