Coil getting hot on one sub.

ptcruiser07
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
TX
seems like over night one of my HDD tantric 15's started to get smelly fast even at half power, while the other subs coils are cool to the touch at same power. Im running a aq 2.4k at .7omhs on them......i feel no coil rub at all on the subs, do i need to recone or could there be a dirty signal that did this im lost how one sub is 100% fine..I know i was clipping them hard (not to the point you could hear it) but why is only one coil getting hot, and so fast. I did not think a 2.4k amp on two 2.5k subs could burn up a coil even with some clipping for short amounts of time..

Last edited by a moderator:
Not all subs are made 100% equal. There are minor allowable differances in subs that wont be displayed during normal play. When you play thwm with too much power or play too low or clip them these tolerances open up and cause problems. I was playing super low notes with my 12 like 19/25hz and one ripped the glue off the cone and separated the surround, and im still using the other one today.

Thats what im thinking, I knew the risk running unclean power to them. never did it for that long, alwayz turned it down when i smelled any thing. Btw my subs are inverted so i can feel the coils...Today i put my finger on the sub acting up and had it playing on low volume power and i could feel one spot on the coil getting warm instantly...So what do you think time for a recone? funny thing is it sounds fine even at max volume

Thats what im thinking, I knew the risk running unclean power to them. never did it for that long, alwayz turned it down when i smelled any thing. Btw my subs are inverted so i can feel the coils...Today i put my finger on the sub acting up and had it playing on low volume power and i could feel one spot on the coil getting warm instantly...So what do you think time for a recone? funny thing is it sounds fine even at max volume
I would remove the wiring from the sub and check the ohm load/tolerance of the sub to make sure its within its limitations/specs,and if it seems to be fine, run it until she is no longer acceptable, time for replacement.Id check both subs to be honest.Easy enough with a DMM, and they are inverted and easy to get to the terminals.

Thats the plan, wish i had a DMM handy. It bugs me that the sub sounds clean and there is no coil rub at all.. I am the second owner tho, and did get 2 years out of them bumpin daily.. These are the subs Jim aka mylows10 ran in his truck..

Thats the plan, wish i had a DMM handy. It bugs me that the sub sounds clean and there is no coil rub at all.. I am the second owner tho, and did get 2 years out of them bumpin daily.. These are the subs Jim aka mylows10 ran in his truck..
Everything I have bought and traded with Jim has worked great and never had any issues.I wouldnt ever hesitate to buy anything from Jim.Great Guy , honest and stands behind his sales and trades.Hell of a guy man:thumbsup:

seems like over night one of my HDD tantric 15's started to get smelly fast even at half power, while the other subs coils are cool to the touch at same power. Im running a aq 2.4k at .7omhs on them......i feel no coil rub at all on the subs, do i need to recone or could there be a dirty signal that did this im lost how one sub is 100% fine..I know i was clipping them hard (not to the point you could hear it) but why is only one coil getting hot, and so fast. I did not think a 2.4k amp on two 2.5k subs could burn up a coil even with some clipping for short amounts of time..

This part in bold. U knowing your clipping then hard... that's hard on subwoofers and the amp. U can burn up those woofers on a 1000watt amp clipped to shlt. Just because u have 5k rated woofers doesn't mean it can take a square wave lol. Play until they stop working and then recone.

I don't agree with the clipping idea. Subs might have slight differences but not enough for one sub to be at its thermal limits when the other is ice cold. I think you will need to use a dmm and check both subs. Its more likely the cold sub is already blown and the hot sub is on its way. With sub differences I could see a small 20degree difference or less. Thermal limits are 4-500 depending on glue so if one is at its limits the other should still be very hot. If neither are blown something is wrong.

You might be the last person on earth running Tantric subs...lol

Clipping destroys subs. Even a little bit, and over time, it might affect something.

Looks like Im starting all over.. I dont see the point putting money into the tantric motor/baskets.. Back to research on what subs i want to invest in.. A company that is not gona **** in 2 years and stop making recones i hope.. Ideas?>

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.