coaxs and tweets

adio
5,000+ posts

THE STEREOTYPE FIGHTER!!!
piggyback offa bterz's thread, i was wondering if anybody has tried using a coax, tweeter and crossover for their front-stage. i mean i see alotta ppl asking why stock speakers seem to get louder and dip lower on stock HU power as oppsed to aftermarket comps and an amp giving them 100watts per side on up.

i wouldn't mind swapping out my crystal mids and giving some cheap walmart coaxs a try.

while reading this post you gotta think in terms of 'what if i didn't have a sub? what would give me the most bass?"

see thats what i'm sayin!!!!! mugs think subs are forever. subs can blow, get stolen, sold and waiting for a replacement, or just sold to create more space. i want more bass up front

okay, this was my question as well...

i have a 93 prelude, these things came stock with tweeters and coaxs in the front, im not sure on the wiring, im going to be looking that up soon, and i completely agree about the subs maybe not always being there...

so what do you think the technical reason for factory > aftermarket.

see thats what i'm sayin!!!!! mugs think subs are forever. subs can blow, get stolen, sold and waiting for a replacement, or just sold to create more space. i want more bass up front
Fit midbasses up front somehow or do 3 way comps. If you're missing a frequency range, downgrading to speakers that aren't designed to do an excellent job producing any one specific type of sound isn't going to help overall. Also realize, stock head units are designed to work with stock speakers to produce low frequencies at high volume in a way that you won't blow speakers.

"piggyback offa bterz's thread, i was wondering if anybody has tried using a coax, tweeter and crossover for their front-stage. i mean i see alotta ppl asking why stock speakers seem to get louder and dip lower on stock HU power as oppsed to aftermarket comps and an amp giving them 100watts per side on up."

As I said in another thread about the very issue of low bass from aftermarket comps vs. stock coaxes, I drive a 6 year old Tahoe with a base tape-deck/4 speaker system in it for work. My personal vehicle is an 04 Dakota Quad Cap with Eclipse SC 8362 up front, infinity reference coaxes out back, Soundstream 2 channel powering a pioneer premier shallowmount 10, and an Eclipse EA4200 powering the door speakers. All run by an Alpine CDA 9883.

Like most factory system the Tahoe's is tuned to give low bass from the door speakers cause there's no sub in the picture so those door speakers have to do everything. And yes, if you just compare the bass coming from those front speakers to the bass coming from my 6.5 front comps, the Tahoe wins every time in terms of how low those speakers go. Now that I've tuned my system for the proper blend between the 10 in the rear and the midbass/midrange from the front comps, when I sit in the driver's seat of my own truck and close my eyes I feel a lifelike, realistic bass coming from in front of me and and mostly cannot pinpoint it as coming from the rear. If there is any rearward soundstage instability I know it's because I don't have midbass drivers. The Tahoe's front speakers go lower by themselves than my 6.5 comps do but the bass is muddy and artificial and don't measure up to the overall bass created by the blending of my front midranges and my 10 inch sub.

In other words... stop being cheap and figure out how to incorportate speakers designed to make the sound you want to hear.

Then do it right. Get dedicated midbass drivers or go for 3 way comps. I don't understand how replacing midranges with coaxes is supposed to give better up front bass. Seems like all that would accomplish is giving you highs from two different places and screwing up imaging.
This has to be a joke. I hope it's a joke. But in case it's not a joke...

That's totally right. This is a ridiculous idea. There is a reason for dedicated mid range, and mid bass drivers. If you want bass up front you need to either install a sub in an abnormal location, or most likely add a mid-bass up front. With a nice 3-way setup there is little need for a sub. Get a nice 7" mid-bass, 3-4" midrange, and a tweet.

Cheap Wal-Mart speakers are Cheap Wal-Mart speakers. They won't give you bass up front.

Adio if you want more bass up front, keep what you have now and make sure it is getting recommended RMS if not more and then take the money and dampen your doors with some sound deadener. I have used a lot of deadeners in my day and all have done their job. I currently have fatmat and Second skin damplifer in my car and the fatmat is on my doors and helped out my mid bass a lot! Now if you want some really good bass, then yes, go active 3-way up front, which is costly in most cases unless of course you already have the deck and or other processors already to go active. I really wish I would have tried to go active with my last setup, but sold it thinking I was getting out of the audio game.

Good luck!

HU with TA can give you "bass up front" if you have a sub. Or a good EQ that will let you bump up 80/125Hz.

Ran the Crystals in the GF's car and they had decent midbass, but just swapped in a pair of Boston Pro's and they're better....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

adio

5,000+ posts
THE STEREOTYPE FIGHTER!!!
adio
college park, ga
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date