clipping?

Participant count
  • Participant list

jesuspunk25
10+ year member

Ron Burgundy
GA
I just bought a elemental designs ed12k from woodmister on here. So I put it in a sealed box (probably just under 1 cube) and powered it with a tiny 222w sony amp which is supposedly 80w @ 4ohm bridged and the sub is 75-400w rms. The point of this thread: it sounded like crap. If I turned my cd player up it would make a noise that I'm not sure how to explain... slapping or perhaps snapping would be good words to kind of expain it. Could it be that the amp was clipping? I hope to get this figured out within a couple weeks because I'll be installing it (with a different amp) and a cd player for my girlfriend's (soon to be fiancee) birthday.

it's more like a third of a beast... only reason I have it is to run my 6.5's in the back (for now) although I might use it to run my 4" ample speakers in the front.

I just bought a elemental designs ed12k from woodmister on here. So I put it in a sealed box (probably just under 1 cube) and powered it with a tiny 222w sony amp which is supposedly 80w @ 4ohm bridged and the sub is 75-400w rms. The point of this thread: it sounded like crap. If I turned my cd player up it would make a noise that I'm not sure how to explain... slapping or perhaps snapping would be good words to kind of expain it. Could it be that the amp was clipping? I hope to get this figured out within a couple weeks because I'll be installing it (with a different amp) and a cd player for my girlfriend's (soon to be fiancee) birthday.

I'd be afraid of clipping. I don't trust sony or kenwood amps. Especially when it's not a class D amp. I'd say be very careful with your gain setting and save for a better amp or you're going to mess up that speaker. I have my kenwood amp feeding 150 RMS to each of my ED 10's(mine are rated for 300 watss rms each) right now and I set the gains conservative due to fear of pushing the amp into clipping. It's going to sound much better when you get a better amp. 80 watts is way underpowering that sub. My setup right now is pathetic compared to when I had my subs powered by a quality amp that put out 600 watts rms (300 per speaker). I'd get a class D amp way more flexible which is nice if you plan on adding speakers or changing to different ohm speaker.

for that sub... any kind of smacking / slapping noise is going to be the spider that has broken the glue bond from the basket..

pull it out, and check the perimeter of the spider landing...

Loyd L.

I didn't see anything wrong with the glue or the tinsel itself... if that's what you were talking about. I tried moving it (gently) and it stayed in place. Should I test it with my kole amp (300w x 2 @4ohm) and just unhook both of my subs to test it? Then I'd know if it was the amp... but that might risk damaging the sub too.

I tested it out with my amp earlier at very low levels and it sounded much better. If I turned it up I could hear a little noise still but not much... would mounting it with only 4 screws possibly make some noise at all? Well I'll take it out and check the right thing out tomorrow.

Thanks for the help so far and being nice to a noob with dumb questions!

ED K's can't bottom out.. coil doesn't reach backplate..

it will sound better at low volume.. the spider won't start smacking the basket until the cone moves more...

Loyd L.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.