Clipping is what exactly?

I just got a soundqubed 2200 amp and there plugged up to 2 kicker l7s. I was told to run 0 guage wires I currently have 4 I guage I believe and when I turn it up the clipping indicator comes on. Does that mean the subs won't get any louder or will running 0 guage wire stop the clipping and make the subs louder?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Clipping means the signal wave is getting distorted from a sine wave to a square wave. Clipping will kill a sub very quickly so avoid it. Running larger power wire will help them get louder without clipping because the amp will be getting more power so it can send out more power

The clipping could be caused by something else

Monitor your voltage at the amp terminals

If you are in the 12v range it could be something else

Changing to 1/0awg probably won't make a huge difference

BUT that 2200w amp could draw more than 4awg wire can handle if not properly fused it could be a fire hazard

You could be clipping your signal if not properly set

Or your voltage could be dropping too low due to poor electrical

How did you set the gains on the amp ?
This. No one else asked and I was gonna but this guy was on it.

Also OP, change your wiring to 1/0, as already suggested. Hate to see a popular amp that you spent your hard earned $$ on go to waste.

Has the big 3 been done yet?

I set my amp the way that soundqubed website said to. It doesn't clip in till it's turned up alot but I had a rockford fosgate power series amp before and that amp had nothing about clipping. This amp is more powerfull. And I'm deffinatly going to do a 0 guage wire and probably upgrade the big 3 also. I would like to get another battery but there is no space for it I'm my trunk

I set my amp the way that soundqubed website said to. It doesn't clip in till it's turned up alot but I had a rockford fosgate power series amp before and that amp had nothing about clipping. This amp is more powerfull. And I'm deffinatly going to do a 0 guage wire and probably upgrade the big 3 also. I would like to get another battery but there is no space for it I'm my trunk
I dont understand ? If you did it like there site says how is clipping light coming on ? Last step says turn up amp gain till clipping light just starts to flicker and your good ? I suggest you dont let play into clipping, I dont know those subs or how tough they are but sending them clipped signal causes heat build up in voice coils until they burn up.

I dont understand ? If you did it like there site says how is clipping light coming on ? Last step says turn up amp gain till clipping light just starts to flicker and your good ? I suggest you dont let play into clipping, I dont know those subs or how tough they are but sending them clipped signal causes heat build up in voice coils until they burn up.
That is what I did and that's what I am getting. When I am playing music I turn it up to a certain point and the clipping light starts to flicker. That's what I'm asking would the 0 guage wire allow me to play it louder before it starts to flicker the clip light

That is what I did and that's what I am getting. When I am playing music I turn it up to a certain point and the clipping light starts to flicker. That's what I'm asking would the 0 guage wire allow me to play it louder before it starts to flicker the clip light
I would say your on the safe side there if its just flickering and its prob only only the low bass notes? As far as O gauge goes It would only make a difference if the amp needs more power than its getting and if thats the case your wiring would be getting hot and blowing fuses or melting. I would definitely run 0 gauge and if thats what it calls for you can burn up the amp with low voltage.

I would say your on the safe side there if its just flickering and its prob only only the low bass notes? As far as O gauge goes It would only make a difference if the amp needs more power than its getting and if thats the case your wiring would be getting hot and blowing fuses or melting. I would definitely run 0 gauge and if thats what it calls for you can burn up the amp with low voltage.
Yea it only does on certain bass notes thanks for the help and I'm going to try and keep the volume lower till I get the 0 guage wire

Clipping is basically sending too much voltage through your amp or headunit. I'm taking about AC volts, not the DC voltage that comes from your battery.

You need to find what volume your head unit clips at first. Say your HU clips once you turn it to 25 out of 30. That means the max you want to play it at is 24 out of 30. Then you turn your amp up until you hear distortion or the clip light comes on.

Each song is different though but for the most part should be around the same volume. Some songs are just louder than others.

And to the guys saying low DC voltage could cause clipping; my car some times just sits at 12.6v. Idk why. Even while I'm driving it'll sometimes be at 14.5 but I decelerate and it'll go down to like 13.5 or 12.8 etc. it's a brand new car too. I read that the PCM basically modulates battery voltages depending on the demands from the car... But does going from 14.4 to 12.6 make a difference in what volume on the amp you clip at? Say I play a 50hz tone, I'm at 12.6v just because that's what the car wants it to be at... I turn up the gain until right before it clips. Would that point on the gain change if my car would be sitting at 14.4?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.