Circle vs. Oval

I read somewhere that its not the shape that's a huge problem, its that most manufacturers put lower quality components in 5X7/6X8 to save cost because they aren't as common. I could be wrong though

Round Speakers VS Oval SpeakersThe subject goes as follows: A 5.25" speaker can fit in a stock 5x7" location, and a 6"-6.5" speaker can fit in a stock 6x9" location. So which should you use? It's quite simple. A round speaker is more likely to have weight evenly distributed against the Voice Coil and VC Former. This means that you can achieve clearer sound with a round speaker that with an oval speaker. On the flipside, an oval speaker will obviously have more cone area. With the same excursion as the round speaker, the larger oval cone produces more sound. An oval speaker is capable of getting louder and usually producing more mibbass than a round speaker.

There are a great many exceptions, more and more as the quality of your speakers goes up, but this is the general overview.
This post is from the sticky of Speaker Faq's.

I read somewhere that its not the shape that's a huge problem, its that most manufacturers put lower quality components in 5X7/6X8 to save cost because they aren't as common. I could be wrong though
THIS

There isn't anything inherently wrong with an elliptical speaker. To say that a round speaker will sound better because "the weight is evenly distribute" is complete nonsense.

But you don't see a lot of good speakers in elliptical shapes, and 90% of the elliptical speakers are complete junk.

I'm thinking about adding some elliptical subs to my Accord, even though I already have three eights in the trunk, simply because you can never have too much efficiency or too much power handling.

There are some interesting offerings from Image Dynamics and Tangband in the 6x9 size. I haven't seen a single good speaker that's 5x7.

One thing you *might* consider is a round speaker with a truncated frame. For instance, creativesound.ca and partsexpress.com offer round speakers in truncated frames, which are a better fit for the elliptical holes in some cars.

HTH

yeah the even distributin thing is a bunch of crap. It's a very small spider, lightweight coil and a few mm of xmax on any car audio mid. How you shape it is barely going to matter, except that the oval speaker will be larger and have better low frequency extension as a result. The only downside is that few companies make high end 6x9 and 5x7, so once you get to a certain price point you have no choice really. That being said, if you can get the same model in a oval or a circle and you can fit the oval, go for it.

Anyway, to patrick, ID also makes a 5x7 version of the XS mid, that would be the only good 5x7 I know of lol.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.