cigarette lighter explaination

Participant count
  • Participant list

brettley
10+ year member

so, im installing a PS2 in my car, and have a 12v to 8.5v connector for in a car, and i want to disassemble it and wire it right into the car. If i could get an explainaition on wich terminals connect where, and if my stereo's switched power wire would be able to handle the power, that would be awesome! otherwise, where would I want to connect it?

The positive(12v+) is the post that is at the point of the cig lighter. The Ground(12v-) is the 2 long connections on the side of the cig lighter. I would recommend just solder to the post themselves and tape/heatshrink the entire lighter assembly. This allows you keep the voltage stepdown inside the cig lighter housing and avoid possible issues. Hope this helps!

I dunno how much power that playstation is going to pull, so those tiny gauge wires that the factory uses will hold up...also, make sure if the cig lighter port is not switched power, that you have someway to turn the unit off after you kill the engine so it doesn't just sit there and drain your battery

I dunno how much power that playstation is going to pull, so those tiny gauge wires that the factory uses will hold up...also, make sure if the cig lighter port is not switched power, that you have someway to turn the unit off after you kill the engine so it doesn't just sit there and drain your battery
That is why I wanted to run right off of the stereo switched power wire (red wire). I figured that would be the best if possible. also, the unit claims... input 12v output 8.5v and 5.6A

Since you want to run off of the radio switched power I would recommend using a relay for your power.

Here are the terminls on a relay and what you want to hook to them.

85 Switched power (red on the radio), you could also use the Amp turn on wire (usually blue w/white)

86 Ground (black on the radio)

87 Constant power (FUSED). I would recommend hooking this to you key cylinder constant or a constant in your fuse box since it will allow more current to pass thru than a cig lighter or radio connection.

30 power going to you cig lighter adapter 12v+

87a not used

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

brettley

10+ year member
brettley
Minnesota
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from