Choices, choices, choices

IshbOO
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I have to make a decision soon, on which subs I will be buying. I have picked out 2 subs that look to fit my budget.

12" Shiva @ 2ohm

15" Tempest

12" RE SE @ 1 ohm

12" RE

15" RE

I kinda need help choosing. I will be buying an amp soon, but I have to wait until I choose my subs, so then I can build a box as well. I don't have a dealer near me to listen to Adire, or RE, so I'm kinda asking you all.

I know that the RE SE will probably give me the most SPL out of those subs, and thats kinda what im shooting for. Execpt they are 180$, they look very durable, and RE seems to take care of their customers. I would build a ported box for a pair of these as well.

The Shiva sub fits perfect for my budget, I can get them for 115$, They say they are made for SQ, but do you think they can still get redicoulsly loud and hit some low notes as well? If I was to get these, I would want to pull the best SPL out of them as possible, and I would need recommendations for a box, and the wattage to put into them (don't want to over power and dmg them), my second hand choice from Adire would be the Tempest, SPL? compared to shiva?

The RE series subs fit my budget as well, but I hear the SE is just so much better, also hear the Shivas are alot better as well.

Also the only 15"s I have ever heard were 2 JL w7s in a honda civic, so I really Don't know the difference between 15"s and 12"s if someone can clear that up for me that would be great.

If you can help me out on some of the questions i asked about those speakers that would be great.

Thx alot

a 15 will move more air- therefore make more noise (if installed correctly)

how much IS your budget? ~$125?

i would say save the extra few bucks and get the SE. they will get stupid loud.

Not necessarily. It's total displacement, not just cone area. The 12 may have less cone area, but if it makes up for it with excursion then the 12 can be just as loud or louder than the 15 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Personally, I'd probably take the Tempest. Great speaker, and it's not RE.

Not necessarily. It's total displacement, not just cone area. The 12 may have less cone area, but if it makes up for it with excursion then the 12 can be just as loud or louder than the 15 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
agreed, 1 hcca 10 displaces more air than my 2 12 xplod's 15mm xmax for the orion, and 4mm for my sonys. you can't just look at one number, you have to look at the whole speaker as a whole.

well, I'll still be thinking about this, but I think if I go with Adire, it will be the 2 Tempest in a sealed box, Or I am going to see if I can get some extra cash, and maybe afford 2 RE SE's in a ported box. Thanks for your input, if anyone else has some suggestions that would be cool.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.