Changed Mind NVX900.5 Is Out

robert J

canada
In anther thread I was thinking of using the NVX as on paper it specked good and it certified higher than rated power. However, this amp has terrible feedbacks on Amazon.

amprevew.jpg

common complaint is very poor to no bass response. Another complaint is customer service and bass nob/boost broken or not working at all.

Now I am back to square one when I was looking at a mono for the sub and a 4 or 2ch for the fronts. I have $300.00 for an amp/s that is it. There is a used Hertz HD5 at a local install shop (2yrs used) asking 275.00.

75Wrms x 2/4ch@4ohm

400/500Wrms x sub@2ohm 12" [soundStream, Fosgate maybe?]

I have checked a number of Soundstream amps too and many of them seem to be junk as well.

who are the top five names in amps today?

Meh, I have had multiple, still have one. Excellent amp.i find people who do Amazon ratings for audio are not the best judge.

The Soundstream and PPI versions are the same amp with different covers.

That whole line is proven that uses that board.

Meh, I have had multiple, still have one. Excellent amp.i find people who do Amazon ratings for audio are not the best judge.
The Soundstream and PPI versions are the same amp with different covers.

That whole line is proven that uses that board.
Sorry, are you advocating for the NVX amp?

Just went and read the reviews. Dumb asses and a few with "bad sellers", aka used.

The only downside the amp has that is true in those reviews are the bass knob is not an exact ratio. Off all the way to the left, max is about half way. Does not effect function, at all.

NVX 900.5Soundstream tn 5 channel

PPI Phantom 5 channel

All excellent. Same amp.

Just went and read the reviews. Dumb asses and a few with "bad sellers", aka used.
The only downside the amp has that is true in those reviews are the bass knob is not an exact ratio. Off all the way to the left, max is about half way. Does not effect function, at all.

Really! OK thanks for going to all that effort.

I knew I would get a better picture from you guys than random public reviews, but 20+% unhappy, that is a significant number so I thought I better check with the experts.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a Nakamichi and Polk clone too. All great amps. The Soundstream is the best deal IMO.
A nakamichi clone? ever saw that one. I have owned a NVX 900.5 (**** what have I not owned at this point) and it's a nice 5 channel. I'd look at the PPI or Soundstream versions and save some dough.

In anther thread I was thinking of using the NVX as on paper it specked good and it certified higher than rated power. However, this amp has terrible feedbacks on Amazon.

common complaint is very poor to no bass response. Another complaint is customer service and bass nob/boost broken or not working at all.

Now I am back to square one when I was looking at a mono for the sub and a 4 or 2ch for the fronts. I have $300.00 for an amp/s that is it. There is a used Hertz HD5 at a local install shop (2yrs used) asking 275.00.

75Wrms x 2/4ch@4ohm

400/500Wrms x sub@2ohm 12" [soundStream, Fosgate maybe?]

I have checked a number of Soundstream amps too and many of them seem to be junk as well.

who are the top five names in amps today?
Sounds like a serious install error and the guy doesnt seem too bright with car audio. You have guys over in DIYMA that take their audio seriously using the nvx/ppi/soundstream 5 channels. Those amps are not the issue. Poor bass response could have been him using an LOC getting a crappy signal from a stock head unit that has a built in high pass filter to protect the cheap speakers which will give you zero bass no matter what amp you get. Or a sh*tty subwoofer enclosure with sh*tty port/sub loading. Poor grounds/power runs etc....

You need to know how many idiots there are in the electronics review section on amazon. There's quite a lot of them and i'm willing to bet over half of the people do hackjob ghetto installs as well.

All the 900.5 variations do their rated power on the amp dyno so its already professionally tested to perform well.

A nakamichi clone? ever saw that one. I have owned a NVX 900.5 (**** what have I not owned at this point) and it's a nice 5 channel. I'd look at the PPI or Soundstream versions and save some dough.
Soundstream sure has a lot of models out there.

Sounds like a serious install error and the guy doesnt seem too bright with car audio. ... All the 900.5 variations do their rated power on the amp dyno so its already professionally tested to perform well.
Thanks everyone for your expert knowledge. I don't want to waste hundreds of dollars because of my lack of due diligence. You guys are doing a great service and it is appreciated.

Soundstream sure has a lot of models out there.

Thanks everyone for your expert knowledge. I don't want to waste hundreds of dollars because of my lack of due diligence. You guys are doing a great service and it is appreciated.
If you wanna wait a week I am pulling a nearly new NVX 900.5 that I will sell for $150 shipped. Upgrading trucks.

That sounds promising to me when you have already checked it is proven working. is the bass boost attenuation as bad as others are on yours?

Have you sold to others on this forum?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

robert J

robert J
canada
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
robert J