CDT EX-480 vs EX-560i

Kevlar
10+ year member

Hey all.

I'm buying a set of CDT ES-62i's with the '07 (yellow) mid. I'm getting a good deal on an upgrade to the ES-010 tweeters, so I figure I might as well step up to the top of the range driver. However, I'm torn as to which crossover I should go with. They come with the EX-480, but I can upgrade to the EX-560i's for $45. Is it a worthwhile upgrade? I'm already pushing my budget, and while I consider myself a home/headphone audiophile, I've never had a great car audio system, so I'm not sure how much I would notice or appreciate the difference. I've heard that the 560's have better power handling, and that the 480's tweeter protect sometimes annoyingly kicks in?

For reference, they will be going in an 07 Subaru WRX STI (not exactly the best car-audio platform ever. Essentially no factory sound-deadening //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif), running off of an Alpine CDA-9887 and either an Alpine PDX 2.150 or 4.100 (bridged). I'll probably try the tweets out in the stock location (upper door cards), but may mount them down in the kicks. Sub is an Fi Q 12", and I mostly listen to DnB and Trance, but I also listen to anything from death metal to piano rock.

Thanks in advance.

if you like your music loud go with the 560

I had the 480 and I think it will take 150 or so RMS also has tweeter protect that I didnt like

shuts off tweeter to soon for me

Hey all.
I'm buying a set of CDT ES-62i's with the '07 (yellow) mid.
The ES-62i's have the new ES-6 mids

The ES-620's have the old (yellow) ES-600 mids

Definitely upgrade to the 560i's, you'll get a lower (imo more favorable) x/over point along w/ the advantages already mentioned

GET THE 560's id you are going to get a crossover. The 480 has a 4700 hz or something close to that cross point , while the 560's have a 2k cross point iirc

Hey all. Thanks for all the input, and a huge thanks to Mike at Vertex. He went out of his way to help me figure out the deal I was looking at, with no expectation of making a sale at all, but rather, concerned as a CDT dealer that I was either getting mislead or not getting as good of a deal as I thought i was.

As luck would have it, though, he had an awesome deal on an open-box set of the CDT PSS-626i's (only a little more than I would have spent on the 07 ES-62i's with the DRT26's and EX-560i crossover). Similar to the 2009 ES-62i set, but with the even-better 550i/25 crossover (lower xover point), PSS-6i mid (a shallow-mount driver that seems to be an improvement upon the ES-07 mid), with all components being hand-selected and auditioned.

My only question now, is whether I should spend an extra ~$50 or so to get the ES-06 mid instead. With the lower xover point, the set should cover the range pretty well, and I'm a fan of DnB and electronica, so extra bass is a plus. I've got a pretty solid sub-stage with the sealed Fi Q 12", which can play pretty high, so I may not really need the 06 mid, but with how much I'm already spending, would it be stupid not to spend a little bit more and get what may be an even better driver for my listening tastes? Mind you, I'm already pushing my budget past what I originally planned on spending, but it sort of turned into a case of "Spend X now and risk not being totally happy, or spend Y more and be set for a long time?" Thoughts?

Edit: One other consideration - I would have no issue at all fitting the PSS-6i mid in my doors, but IIRC the ES-06 mid has a MASSIVE driver and just shy of a 3" mounting depth, which is on the extreme end of what can reasonably fit in my doors. I'm sure I could make it work, but it is something to keep in mind.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.