CDT CL61a components installed -- review inside

Participant count
  • Participant list

Tungsten
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
First of all, I've had these components sitting in the box on my office floor for about a month and a half now I guess. It's been hard to find a weekend where I both (a.) had the free time to install them and (b.) had the desire to mess with it. In retrospect, had I known how much better they would sound than my Kicker K57.2 components, I would have made the time and certainly had the desire.

The car in question is a 1998 Ford Mustang GT that was originally optioned with the premium Mach460 sound system. I have stripped out all of the Mach460 junk and am running all aftermarket equipment. The only thing left from the Mach460 setup is the tweeter pods in the sail panels ... which I re-used for both the Kickers K57.2 and the new CDT components.

The Mustang uses 6x8 oval speakers from the factory, so fitting a traditional 6.5" speaker into the 6x8 opening required a little extra effort. I did it simply by fabricating two slightly oversized oval adapter plates from 1/2" thick laminated oak plywood from the lumber store. I chose oak because of it's natural rigidty and density. It's a little more expensive than plain old plywood, but considerably stronger.

Here's a picture of the CDT mid/woofer screwed to the oak adapter plate which is in turn screwed to the factory 6x8 opening. I countersunk the OEM screws so that they would not touch the CDT woofer's basket at all. Zero metal to metal contact. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

CDT_CL61A_01.jpg

You will notice that the left edge of the adapter plate is "radiused" a little and not symetric with the other side. That's intentional and provides clearance for the storage pocket molded into the Mustang door panel. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

As I mentioned before, I chose to re-use the Mach460 tweeter pods for the CDT component tweeter. You can see those pictures by going to this thread...

http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31993

THE VERDICT

In short, WOW. These speakers bring so much more body and depth to the music than I was used to hearing in my car. They are absolutely incredible! The midbass is strong, the midrange is warm and full and the tweeters are perfect -- none too bright.

I am very happy with the results. And given the $150 sale price from TheZeb, you just can't beat the results. I can honestly say that, yes Virginia, there is a difference between cheap speakers and good speakers.

I am a convert. I heartily recommend the CDT Classic series to anyone interested in great sound for their car. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

looks very good. so you have 1" worth of wood behind the mid? did you have any trouble getting your door panel back on with this more than usal bulge of wood?

Originally posted by buthatsabuick looks very good. so you have 1" worth of wood behind the mid? did you have any trouble getting your door panel back on with this more than usal bulge of wood?
1/2" thick panel... not 1".

I made several different adapter plates out of various materials before settling on the 1/2" thick oak. I tried 3/4" MDF but it was too thick and would have caused the speaker surround to slam into a 6x8 oval bracing that Ford molded into the door panel.

I couldn't find any 1/2" MDF locally and actually thought about running some 3/4" MDF through a wood plane to cut off about 1/4" thickness to make a 1/2" thick sheet, but it occurred to me that it would be awfully flimsy when it was done.

So I opted for the 1/2" oak instead. Plenty of room between the speaker and the door panel and no bulging of the door panel to speak of. It fits perfectly.

real quick ? on the CDTS. I just ordered them from the zeb and I ordered a us-acoustics usx2080 for them as well. The amp is backordered for a bit and I was hoping to install them as soon as possible. Could I run them off the head unit(cda-9815 with V-drive internal amp) until the amp comes, would it harm them? Or should I just wait for the amp? Thanks-Adam

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.