Capable of 3k - 3.2k?

Participant count
  • Participant list

bgowdy
5,000+ posts

Heroes are remembered, but legends never die
Ok so what im wondering is if my electrical will be ok 3.2k?

Ok so what im wondering is if my electrical will be ok 3.2k?

When i ride around daily i never really play my system over probly 1/2 power, actually closer to

a 1/4 power. At comps is the ONLY time that i run my system wide-open. Im wanting to have 3.2k on tho after rise and voltage drop it will rarely be seeing 3.2k because when i compete its on music ave(no burps).

I also notice that peoeple run more power(RMS) then me but use less battery power etc. So im wondering if this should be ok.

Eletrical as follows:

--220a DC power alt(tested @ 248amps)

--Big 3 is 2 gauge wire(ADVANCE AUTO 100% OXYGEN FREE COPPER)

--4 runs of 0ga front to back(2 positve & 2 negative)

--i will have a Deka unigy 105ah, & a C&D 75ah in back

--Rear batts double jumped in OFC

--Will be replacing battery under hood with better battery

upgrade your front to agm. and replace the 2g with 0 guage ofc and your good.

you can get away with driving around and listening to 1/4 now do the above upgrades before going full tilt

upgrade your front to agm. and replace the 2g with 0 guage ofc and your good.
you can get away with driving around and listening to 1/4 now do the above upgrades before going full tilt
im curious because previously i had a crescendo bc3500, everything in my electrical was the same other then i had 1 extra battery. at idle i could go full tilt and not drop below 13.5v, and when i compete we are aloud to tack our RPS to 2k so, i was at 13.9v-14.2v full tilt while competing. i really think at 2k rpms that i should be able to maintain atleast 13.6v or .7v. as for the battery im trying to get a better one up there under the hood

All upgrading the battery is going to do is give you more reserve time. Only the alternator/amperage will give you more voltage.
-ok so in my statement before, i said i ran a BC3500 full tilt and idle i maintained arounf 13.4-.5v. At full tilt @ 2krpms i was 13.9-14.2.

-The only difference with this setup will be minus 1 batt, everything else is the in my elec is the same. also im not running as much power. im thinking again i should be able to maintain atleast 13.4 while @ 2krpms

also ,wouldnt not having that extra battery make it easier on the alt in recharging, due to it having less to recharge? or am i wrong.

You may see a slight voltage dip when you first start into a burp but with that size alt you should be fine. If you wang it a lot with music though I would look at adding another battery just to beef up your reserve a bit. The alternator is going to have a slight lag between when the load is put on it and when it actually starts producing the current needed. In my experience the larger the battery reserve the stiffer your resting voltage will be (less dip during that alternator lag).

At what RPM did your alt produce 248A? Just wondering because if it was higher than 2k that doesn't help you, it would be helpful (but not necessary) to know what it produces at 2k (your competition speed).

-ok so in my statement before, i said i ran a BC3500 full tilt and idle i maintained arounf 13.4-.5v. At full tilt @ 2krpms i was 13.9-14.2.
-The only difference with this setup will be minus 1 batt, everything else is the in my elec is the same. also im not running as much power. im thinking again i should be able to maintain atleast 13.4 while @ 2krpms

also ,wouldnt not having that extra battery make it easier on the alt in recharging, due to it having less to recharge? or am i wrong.
I believe it will make your alternator work harder. Because instead of the 3 batteries sharing the work load, not it's only 2. So the batteries are going to drain faster meaning that you will be relying on your alternator more. IMO at least. I'd ask an alternator company about that one.

You may see a slight voltage dip when you first start into a burp but with that size alt you should be fine. If you wang it a lot with music though I would look at adding another battery just to beef up your reserve a bit. The alternator is going to have a slight lag between when the load is put on it and when it actually starts producing the current needed. In my experience the larger the battery reserve the stiffer your resting voltage will be (less dip during that alternator lag).
At what RPM did your alt produce 248A? Just wondering because if it was higher than 2k that doesn't help you, it would be helpful (but not necessary) to know what it produces at 2k (your competition speed).
1900 rpms is where the 248a was achieved.

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

I believe it will make your alternator work harder. Because instead of the 3 batteries sharing the work load, not it's only 2. So the batteries are going to drain faster meaning that you will be relying on your alternator more. IMO at least. I'd ask an alternator company about that one.
technically it would still be 3 because the front battery will still be inline

1900 rpms is where the 248a was achieved. 

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

technically it would still be 3 because the front battery will still be inline
Oh my bad. so you have 4 right now. I would just run and see how it goes.

lol i would look at it if i wasnt at work lol...
but your saying i should be good?
The battery I linked there is a multi cell batt from B2 Audio called the "Better Battery." It's capable of like 9,000A. Lol. It's a monster. And costs a fortune. Some Street Max guys used that single battery to power (4) B2 M1's to do a 167.8. ON A SINGLE BATTERY. Lol.

With a 220A alt, a good batt underhood... I'd feel comfortable running 3k. Eff it.

You will be more than fine. I ran a sundown 3k at .5Ω with 3 Optima Yellow's and a red under the hood for competitions/ daily and was fine. Daily i was only going about 1/2, and even at comp's doing a 3 second burp on a tone i was only at 12.8,

The battery I linked there is a multi cell batt from B2 Audio called the "Better Battery." It's capable of like 9,000A. Lol. It's a monster. And costs a fortune. Some Street Max guys used that single battery to power (4) B2 M1's to do a 167.8. ON A SINGLE BATTERY. Lol.
With a 220A alt, a good batt underhood... I'd feel comfortable running 3k. Eff it.
im not paying a fortune for a battery lol. it probly wouldnt fit under my hood anyway lol.

but thats good i figured i would be. thanx

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

bgowdy

5,000+ posts
Heroes are remembered, but legends never die
bgowdy
Campbellsville, Ky
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date