cant for the life of me crimp 1/0

I use an old marine crimper like this one for 0 guage

31rEcCQ1zOL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I've used a vice, vice grips, and hammer+punch+ground and all three have worked just fine, albeit a PITA to do 1/0 with vice grips. Crush it down til you can't pull it apart by hand and then wrap'er tight with electrical tape and it'll be fine.

I always buy closed end terminal ends,use a torch and solder and fill the terminal with solder and drop in the wire end.... There is a small electronics shop run by a guy in his mid 80's and he said that was the best way to do it and to avoid crimping.. I guess the good old guy knows his stuff so I dont doubt him.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif Speaking of that I may go see that old guy today! He's full of old stories.. lol

I crimped with vice grips and then soldered with a propane torch

Now they are on, but some spl guys get boners over the solder... apparently it adds resistance //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

half-assers....
I agree ... I'm a mostly noob to car audio, but not electrical.

Your life will be much easier, and the end result will be much better, if you just give in and do it right. You won't have to wonder if your terminals are maybe loose or questionable.

Get the right terminal crimp tool and you can at least breeze through that part of any installation ... and worry about other **** instead!!

(Of course this is coming from the guy who doesn't wanna glue together his currently screwed-together-only sub box!!!)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.