Cant find specs on my older head unit? Also, upgrade?

Participant count
  • Participant list

mik3v
10+ year member

Alright, so I want to work on making my stereo system in my mustang sound better. I have an older, pretty nice, pioneer head unit (DEH 535) in from the previous owner which isn't bad but I would love to have an aux-in plug to play music through my speakers with my phone, ipod, zune, etc...

Are there cheap ones you guys would recommend? All I need is an Aux port plug thingy.

My Pioneed DEH 535 unit says: 40Wx4 What does that mean? Can I have bigger than 40 watt speakers or smaller?

Money is also pretty tight for me, therefore super expensive suggestions arent going to work if ya suggest a good new head unit to go with new speakers im hoping to get

Thanks.

look in the classifieds for some older unit that have aux? Don't worry about the 40x4 rating, it's not giving you that much power
Alright thanks.

So I can get LARGER powered speakers and it just wouldnt be able to power them all the way correct?

But dont get LESS than 40 watt speakers or they theoretically could blow from too much power..? correct?

Alright thanks.
So I can get LARGER powered speakers and it just wouldnt be able to power them all the way correct?

But dont get LESS than 40 watt speakers or they theoretically could blow from too much power..? correct?
4X40W is max output.... you are probably getting 15watts RMS per channel form that head unit. I think even Pyle could stand up to 15 watts //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

technically you're correct since the headunit is not making anywhere near 40watts tbh. If you're going to buy aftermarket speakers then it might be smart to amp them separately instead of using headunit power since that won't be enough and will sound like ass.

4X40W is max output.... you are probably getting 15watts RMS per channel form that head unit. I think even Pyle could stand up to 15 watts //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
Ohhh alright thanks. Pyle? im assuming... thats a bad/cheap brand? or? lol

technically you're correct since the headunit is not making anywhere near 40watts tbh. If you're going to buy aftermarket speakers then it might be smart to amp them separately instead of using headunit power since that won't be enough and will sound like ass.
Yeah I am really interested in buying some 6 1/2 speakers Like these: (they were recommended to me on here. Seem nice and money is tight)

MB Quart FKA116 6.5" Coaxial 2-Way Car Speakers

KICKER DS650 6.5" 2WAY COAXIAL SPEAKERS

Do these look good? I want to be able to crank the music loud and spend as little as possible lol.

Also, what would i need to run those? Would i need to get TWO pairs? for doors and in the back?

hornedfrog1985 had a nice Clarion for sale that would work for you... has the USB hookup on the front like mine, doesn't get any easier than that...
Really? How do i find that?

no need for rears, some like them some don't. Since you're on a budget i say don't.
Really? Alright thats good i guess //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif So just buy one pair of those Kickers or MB Quarts?

What would i do with the back speakers? leave them in? or would i take them out? i think itd be nice to have something back there... right?

Would it be possible to have the aftermarket speakers in the doors and factory in the rear?

Really? Alright thats good i guess //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif So just buy one pair of those Kickers or MB Quarts?
What would i do with the back speakers? leave them in? or would i take them out? i think itd be nice to have something back there... right?

Would it be possible to have the aftermarket speakers in the doors and factory in the rear?
yea you can do that. I just took mine out. But the stock should not over power the aftermarket so it doesn't hurt to leave them in.

yea you can do that. I just took mine out. But the stock should not over power the aftermarket so it doesn't hurt to leave them in.
Okay sweet. So how would it all hookup? I am planning on doing everything myself, I have seen "how to remove the door panel on my car" write ups online. will the new speakers just...? connect fine? idk im not sure at all..

which do you think are better in the first place, the kickers or mb quart... or other?

haven't used either, can't tell you. They might or might not fit. You might want to take the stock speakers out first to see what their dimensions are compared to the speakers you are going to buy. Worse case scenario you would have to cut out the door and make a baffle. Baffle is easy, cutting the door...not so much, but not bad.

haven't used either, can't tell you. They might or might not fit. You might want to take the stock speakers out first to see what their dimensions are compared to the speakers you are going to buy. Worse case scenario you would have to cut out the door and make a baffle. Baffle is easy, cutting the door...not so much, but not bad.
Alright Thanks.

well i was told that 6 1/2s were better and to just use these: adapters.

I am not sure if they would work or not..?

Yeah... cutting would be a lil tough...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.