can someone please help me with building a box for my single cab? a few questions to.

DieselFanatic
10+ year member

ok so i want to build a box my first attempt was pretty much a fail as i dont know what im doing when i t comes to it nor do i know how to build a box to any kind of specifications? not to say the box isnt actually pretty strong it was made out of chip board which i know i know doesnt carry sound waves well and project bass well i pretty much built it out of boardom and to see if i could do it tho. NOW im getting more serious. i want to build a box for 2 10" Audio Q street duty sub woofers i really like the sound of 2 10" subs over a single 12 being they seem to have a crisper sound faster response and just sounds less sloppy. would you even recommenced 2 subs for the air space i have being a single cab truck? my amps will have to go in my camper shell there is no way around it. i think i want to make an adjustable port i think it can dump out below the seat or would that be a bad place to have vent? the thing is i have no idea how to build anything to what size its suppose to be or how to even really make a box the way they are suppose to be made. my dad is a general contractor so i have access to any tool ill need including air compressors nail guns drills skill saws jig saws levels squares tape measures table saws to name a few. anyway rag on me if you will here is my first box (attempt) i built out of messing around just so you can get an idea of about how big (or small) the box can be the one in the pic is the biggest i have to work with tho i guess i could go taller? ohh be sure to make fun of the "ports" too //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

IMG_0681.jpg

IMG_0680.jpg

ok so i want to build a box my first attempt was pretty much a fail as i dont know what im doing when i t comes to it nor do i know how to build a box to any kind of specifications? not to say the box isnt actually pretty strong it was made out of chip board which i know i know doesnt carry sound waves well and project bass well i pretty much built it out of boardom and to see if i could do it tho. NOW im getting more serious. i want to build a box for 2 10" Audio Q street duty sub woofers i really like the sound of 2 10" subs over a single 12 being they seem to have a crisper sound faster response and just sounds less sloppy. would you even recommenced 2 subs for the air space i have being a single cab truck? my amps will have to go in my camper shell there is no way around it. i think i want to make an adjustable port i think it can dump out below the seat or would that be a bad place to have vent? the thing is i have no idea how to build anything to what size its suppose to be or how to even really make a box the way they are suppose to be made. my dad is a general contractor so i have access to any tool ill need including air compressors nail guns drills skill saws jig saws levels squares tape measures table saws to name a few. anyway rag on me if you will here is my first box (attempt) i built out of messing around just so you can get an idea of about how big (or small) the box can be the one in the pic is the biggest i have to work with tho i guess i could go taller? ohh be sure to make fun of the "ports" too //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif
The substraight you use for the panels of your box don't "carry, or project the sound" the should actually be as "dead" as possible, with the main goal being ridgid.

2 -10" vs 1-12" where you say " crisper sound faster response and just sounds less sloppy" This has everything to do with design and build, and next to nothing to do with the size of the sub.

As for the size of you box "would you even recommenced 2 subs for the air space i have" use a tape and measure, give specifics of size, also what amps are you using?

It sounds to me like you need to do a whole lot of reading on these forums to help you understand some basis. It looks like you have a grasp on basic carpentry, and with time, trial and error you will get there.

GL

The substraight you use for the panels of your box don't "carry, or project the sound" the should actually be as "dead" as possible, with the main goal being ridgid.
2 -10" vs 1-12" where you say " crisper sound faster response and just sounds less sloppy" This has everything to do with design and build, and next to nothing to do with the size of the sub.

As for the size of you box "would you even recommenced 2 subs for the air space i have" use a tape and measure, give specifics of size, also what amps are you using?

It sounds to me like you need to do a whole lot of reading on these forums to help you understand some basis. It looks like you have a grasp on basic carpentry, and with time, trial and error you will get there.

GL

well the amp i have is **** i wont be useing it its too bulky and doesnt even put out a lot. but using an RE enclosure calculator to my specs of being able to build the biggest box i can i get 3.595 (Ft3) for my box volume.. that should be sufficient for 2 10's correct? im also going to be using audio q heavy duty subs and i think an AW2200D to power them. do you guys think this will bump? louder then the guys with the JL subs that i hear? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

that i did:ponder:
The box itself doesnt look TOOO bad. At least you got the angles to match up kind of.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif and don't feel bad there was a point in everyone's car audio career where we didn't know what the hell ports did much less how to tune them.

The box itself doesnt look TOOO bad. At least you got the angles to match up kind of.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif and don't feel bad there was a point in everyone's car audio career where we didn't know what the hell ports did much less how to tune them.
thank you someone at least someone is giving me credit! hahahahaha i laughed at it when i was building it to so its all good.. im probably going to fill in the holes carpet it and try and make a few bucks x:

Going with AQ is definitely a good start, atleast you're going the right direction and using quality equipment lol. As for the box size, that's actually pretty big for a single cab truck, I didn't know you could fit something like that in one lol. You should have plenty of room to build a proper ported box for a pair of 10's if you have 3.6 ft before displacements. You should do as kmanian said and give us the measurements of the box you had in there so we can help you find out exactly what you do have to work with, or give us the max dimensions that you want to use if you would like to go bigger like you said you could do. While you're waiting around you could read this thread

How to build a professional looking box - Realm of Excursion

It's a pretty good guide to give you the general idea of how to put a sub box together and helps you know what to use and some of what not to use.

I can agree with this.. First two boxes I built in high school I would be embarrassed to show someone...Fortunately I don't have pics of them anyway lol.. I actually got lucky and the second one SOMEHOW put out a decent amount of bass (or atleast I thought it did). I'm sure knowing the things I do now though, If I were to go back and listen to it I would laugh at myself pretty bad.

those arent ports lol, those are holes cut in the baffle lol.

and simple mathematics can tell you everything you need to know about box volumes, cubic feet, etc.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.