Can i use two different brand batteries for my system?

Participant count
  • Participant list

SirVyouup

Mi
I just purchased a new Kinetik HC1800 and was going to use it as my main (starter) battery. But just yesterday my original main battery died still under warranty so i go a new replacement. Its a Autocraft Gold from Advanced Auto. Will i run into problems if i decide to run both batteries parallel? And which should i use as a main and which as a secondary? I read you can't use two different brands of batteries when using a dual battery system. Any one got some input?

I know in heavy trucks with multiple batteries you don't mix and match. That said, in those applications they are all hooked up 100% of the time....So, I wouldn't run multiple odd batteries together all the time. I believe the way around that is a battery isolater. Orion used to make one called the MBR70 if I'm not mistaken. Im sure many other companies make multiple battery isolaters / regulators.

Common on motorhome also. They isolate the starting battery(s) from the living batteries so when you're done camping you can start up your home.

So yeah, umm, get an isolater or the like and you're good.

I would use the new battery for the vehicle start up, and the kinetick for the system set up.I wouldnt think youd have any issues?I ran two different batteries,in my truck alot of times, and had no issues?All the vehicle came off of the starting battery, then the supply from the secondary battery to my feed to supply the amps, and another Kinetick 600 will be added shortly.I havent had any issues though.Maybe someonelse can chime in with theyre experiencing of the same?But, I had no issues,and still do not.

Ideally you want to use very similar batteries (size, specs, etc). Using different brand batteries is ok, but never mix different battery types. Like and AGM battery should be matched by a AGM battery... That Autocraft Gold battery you have is a regular battery and the Kinetik HC you have is a maintenance free, AGM, deep cycle battery. Mixing these batteries will damage them. Mixing battery types in any storage bank will cause permanent damage to the batteries.

I would not bother with using a isolator unless you plan on running the system a lot with your ignition off.

How important is it to run 0awg from negative front battery to negative rear battery? An should i run my amps off of the rear negative battery terminal or ground them seperately?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.