can i bypass the headunit and go straight from my mp3 player to the amp?

shirazd

Hi there,

I just bought an old car. It has a crappy tape deck in it with crappy speakers. I want to re-do the whole audio system.

I was wondering -- I have an 8 gig MP3 player which I use for my music. I don't use CDs anymore and I have no use for the radio. Can I skip buying the head unit and run my MP3 player (from the headphone jack) straight into the amp?

I only wonder about impedance. The volume would be controlled by my MP3 player, or perhaps I can get an amp with a remote control for the volume?

Has anyone tried this? I'm not just trying to be cheap -- I really have no need for a head unit. It would just be something I'd have to bother carrying the faceplate around for so that it didn't get stolen.

Thanks for your insights,

Shiraz

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Sure.

Alpine actually has come out with a single-DIN unit that makes things a little less cluttered and gives you better control over the volume/track being played...the one problem with what you described is being able to control the player safely while not taking your eyes off the road too much.

I personally wouldn't rec it though...kinda not the best way to do it...just my .02 though...a friend of mine did it and well, idk, i didn't like it..kinda pointless IMO

Hi there,
I just bought an old car. It has a crappy tape deck in it with crappy speakers. I want to re-do the whole audio system.

I was wondering -- I have an 8 gig MP3 player which I use for my music. I don't use CDs anymore and I have no use for the radio. Can I skip buying the head unit and run my MP3 player (from the headphone jack) straight into the amp?

I only wonder about impedance. The volume would be controlled by my MP3 player, or perhaps I can get an amp with a remote control for the volume?

Has anyone tried this? I'm not just trying to be cheap -- I really have no need for a head unit. It would just be something I'd have to bother carrying the faceplate around for so that it didn't get stolen.

Thanks for your insights,

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Personally I only tried this once with my friends IPOD cause we wanted to hear how some songs sounded on my system that he had on his IPOD> even max volume on ipod (with my amp) and honestly only got about 30 percent as loud as it usually was. Now in your situation might work.

use a 3.5 mm/rca cable to get the signal to the amp and add a switch into the cabin from the bat to the amp for remote...although i dont think the sound will be that great IMO

Ever consider using one of those, "Tape to 3.5mm" converters :p

JK, welcome back to 1996 =D

you'll end up spending some extra cash on a line out as well... not a good idea.

lol...

What I don't get is that theoretically at least, sound quality should be, if anything, *better* going from the mp3 player to the amp, shouldn't it?

For the remote wire I would just run it in with a fuse that only gets power when the ignition is on......Use a test light and find a fuse that doesn't get power when ignition is off, but does when the ignition is on.

lol...
What I don't get is that theoretically at least, sound quality should be, if anything, *better* going from the mp3 player to the amp, shouldn't it?
You lose a ton of processing capabilities that headunits carry so no, it won't sound better. Many mp3 players have pretty poor quality sound; I have yet to be impressed with any of them, especially not the ipods.

A problem you will probably have is getting proper input voltage for your amp(s). You will more than likely need to get a line out converter to get proper levels and maybe some external crossover and EQ setup (if you plan on going the full system route).

You wont likely find an mp3 player with with the signal voltage output a h/u is capable of. Therefore you will experience what vehement described, dramatic loss in output ability.

A buddy of mine did something similar on his Kawasaki. Mounted two 5.25 RF coaxials on his front fairings, mounted a tiny 2ch amp under the seat, and used the RCA-headphone jack cable to his mp3 player...and...it made sound. That's all I'll say...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.