Camera Source - HMDI screen projection issue - GM Silverado Truck

Participant count
  • Participants list

bstr320

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi All,

I installed this set up on my 2015 GM 2500hd - https://camera-source.com/automotiv...014-17-gm-front-camera-kit-for-8-display.html...

The front camera works stellar, but I have yet to get the HDMI screen projection feature to work. I have been sent 3 replacement units from Camera Source and have been in contact with Camera Source but they have no solution... the HMDI to lightning port (since I have an iPhone) cord works perfectly on my TV, but the image comes up distorted and won't properly convey on the truck's screen. I have used several different HDMI cords, and tried a couple different phones, and iPad - all with the same exact issue. Does anyone have any experience with this product, and/or could help me trouble shoot this issue?

Thank you!

Attachments

• 4FE68772-FA31-4332-864E-ED1A14271F92.jpeg
    4FE68772-FA31-4332-864E-ED1A14271F92.jpeg
    729.3 KB · Views: 334
  • 23DC3505-93B1-4EC7-AF84-2D33F5A927D7.jpeg
    23DC3505-93B1-4EC7-AF84-2D33F5A927D7.jpeg
    588.7 KB · Views: 303
Not familiar with the module but how exactly does it wire into the truck? Does it pass through one of GM's modules?

Have you double and triple checked that all the wiring is correct and tight at the connection points? The fact that it gets the signal but it's distorted should indicate something but I don't know what.

You may have better luck asking on a gm oriented forum than a car audio forum

edit: it states it uses RCA connections for the video source, so it's analog. The distortion does look similar to analog distortion so that might be a hint

Not familiar with the module but how exactly does it wire into the truck? Does it pass through one of GM's modules?

Have you double and triple checked that all the wiring is correct and tight at the connection points? The fact that it gets the signal but it's distorted should indicate something but I don't know what.

You may have better luck asking on a gm oriented forum than a car audio forum

edit: it states it uses RCA connections for the video source, so it's analog. The distortion does look similar to analog distortion so that might be a hint

The module plugs directly into the trucks factory t-harness which plugs into the screen itself on the back... and yes, I sure have. I've installed this module 3 times (because they sent three separate units with three new sets of cords, all of which didn't work).... the video source I believe is related to the cameras that it allows (the front camera I installed).. it also has side and rearview camera installs available.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-06 at 4.44.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-06 at 4.44.13 PM.png
    182 KB · Views: 305
The module plugs directly into the trucks factory t-harness which plugs into the screen itself on the back... and yes, I sure have. I've installed this module 3 times (because they sent three separate units with three new sets of cords, all of which didn't work).... the video source I believe is related to the cameras that it allows (the front camera I installed).. it also has side and rearview camera installs available.
Do you use your own lightning cable or is it one supplied by the company?

Check the pins on the screen itself

Do you use your own lightning cable or is it one supplied by the company?

Check the pins on the screen itself

Thes pins were not damaged and connected smoothly each time - no damage was done there.

Also, I used my own lightning cable - I purchased two different cables when the issue first came up, thinking it might the cord, but both of them worked perfectly fine on my TV mirroring (my first post shows a picture on the TV perfectly mirrored)... Camera Source thought it might be a 12v issue (power supply), but I used a small, portable charger to power my phone to mirror on the TV without any issue.. I think it ruled out the power supply issue.

It's sort of strange that they offer this kit and it "works" on others... But not mine.

Thes pins were not damaged and connected smoothly each time - no damage was done there.

Also, I used my own lightning cable - I purchased two different cables when the issue first came up, thinking it might the cord, but both of them worked perfectly fine on my TV mirroring (my first post shows a picture on the TV perfectly mirrored)... Camera Source thought it might be a 12v issue (power supply), but I used a small, portable charger to power my phone to mirror on the TV without any issue.. I think it ruled out the power supply issue.

It's sort of strange that they offer this kit and it "works" on others... But not mine.
I'd be willing to bet it's an issue with your truck and not the kit. Some things are not meant to be I guess

You could check for firmware updates with the dealership. Tell them you're having an issue with a slow and buggy interface and whatnot and they'll fix it for free otherwise they'll try to charge you even though they should just update it for free. Stealerships..

Very good point, and idea... My local chevy "stealership" charges for everything. Last time I was there they charged me a "Going Green" fee... it was 20% of the bill, not to exceed $150 or something ridiculous. They threw away my roof "shark" antenna because it was leaking in the cab (which was an issue they were fixing for free) and charged me an extra $20 bucks... Such a rip. Hence why I "DIY" so much.... LOL

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.