Calling all precision power phantom 600.2 and 900.4 users

coomaster1
10+ year member

canada
Hi, I was wanting to talk to people that have personal use with the newer ppi phantom 600.2 and phantom ppi 900.4 amplifiers. I would like to know if the 600.2 is the same sound quality as the 900.4,only difference being that the 600.2 is a 2 channel with 190rms @ 4 ohms as compared to the 900.4 @ 145rms watts at 4 ohm. Is the 600.2 also a full range amp. Now for the good stuff. I would like to know if all you phantom amp users classify the ppi phantoms amps as sound quality amplifiers. I have heard a few people say they won SQ competitions with them. Another question would be that, some say they compared the jl audio 600/4 amp to the ppi 900.4 and they couldn't hear the difference in SQ between the two of them.Can anyone confirm this?

if all other conditions are ideal you likely will not hear a difference between a ppi amp and another "sq" amp.

no they are not SQ amps, they are class D.

the 900.2 and 900.4 are very commonly made boards for multiple brands. i believe in china, but they're better quality than most chinese amps

They are a dumbed down copy of a Hertz HDP. It's cheap because the heat sink is thin and they just copied.

Any amp ran within its limits will sound the same if it's decent. Amplifiers amplify, they don't change anything.

I think the biggest difference in his alignment of gear in that thread is the topology. Ie: ppi class d vs jl class A/B amp which are known to have the " best" SQ
No. I went from a 450/4 to a class D. It's the same. Only difference is output, efficency, size. At first I thought it was different. Only the tuning was different. Once that was in line it is the exact same

I was hoping to personally hear from ppi phantom users that have changed from a class AB amp to these ppi phantom class D amplifiers ,and can confirm or deny with a simple amp swap,nothing else changed tuning wise, if the SQ was the same or better. Also are these ppi phantom amps dead silent between tracks when the volume is high. I run older class AB alpine 3544 amps through an Anniversary alpine 7909 head unit ,and am wanting to simply swap to the ppi phantom class D amps, since they should run cool ,since they are class D ,but was wanting to confirm, I wouldn't be taking a step backwards in the sound quality. Has anyone here actually just did a simple amp swap in and out with no changes in tuning of their car stereo to compare the ppi phantom amps against the JL audio 600/4 amp. Also can actual users confirm if the ppi phantom amps will stay clear and detailed when you are pushing the amp close to its maximum volume ,when running them in 4 ohm mode. Also what are users of these amps opinions, on if the sound quality will crumble when you bridge either the ppi 600.2 or 900.4.,Or will it actually get better, since instead of getting 190 rms watts per side at 4 ohms, when bridging it, you will get 300 rms watts, giving you more head room and dynamic range. Allowing you to keep the volume knob lower.,But to get that 300 rms watts you are working the amp harder because of the bridging.Won't this be worse. Nothing beats talking to actual users of these amps. Thanks

They are a dumbed down copy of a Hertz HDP. It's cheap because the heat sink is thin and they just copied.
Any amp ran within its limits will sound the same if it's decent. Amplifiers amplify, they don't change anything.
when you understand HOW they amplifiy then you can make that statement. Im not a electronics PRO but trust me its alot more complex that just amplifing a signal. if it was that easy we wouldnt be paying a dollar a watt. i wish it where true but its not.

Ask jeff about his experence with the 900.4 sense you wont believe me.

when you understand HOW they amplifiy then you can make that statement. Im not a electronics PRO but trust me its alot more complex that just amplifing a signal. if it was that easy we wouldnt be paying a dollar a watt. i wish it where true but its not.
Ask massive SPL about his experence with the 900.4 sense you wont believe me.
I've owned enough amps to know what they sound like. Yes there are measurable differences. With tools not ears.

It really ticks a linear power fanboy off when you show them dampening factor don't mean ****.

Get off your horse. You are not as smart as you think you are. So many test have already proven there is no difference when ran within limits.

Either way. Junk is junk. No matter what class it is

Btw ask Jeff what happened after he got a very nice A/B Gladen

To keep things simple, skip the ppi unless you want 6+ hours of DSP tuning, speaker positioning and still have dissatisfied results vs my jl 6600 6 channel which only needed 15 minutes of tuning to get miles better sound quality semi permanent satisfaction(i literally dont want to touch my front stage anymore, im that satisfied)

Yeah every amp will be different, not all amps will satisfy. The gladen c150.4 xl i had was a major disappointment all around in both sq and output despite the high quality name brand and high power specs. The jl 6600 out did it in everyway possible. Even the ppi held its ground sq wise against this this amp and blew it out the water when it came to output.

Ppi phantoms are good for SPL and loud clean sound. Not my first choice for smooth and detailed musical sound. Most people that heard the before and after of my system can testify the huge difference in sq.

@jordon i was about to post this answer on your thread too.

No. I went from a 450/4 to a class D. It's the same. Only difference is output, efficency, size. At first I thought it was different. Only the tuning was different. Once that was in line it is the exact same
Dollar spent was similar, brand trustworthiness between the two you had is similar. Not all class D and A/B are made the same, replace that DD with a ppi and youll be one unhappy camper. Just need a quality 4 channel designed with high sq in mind rather than pure power output. That along with being made with good internals and circuitry.

Dollar spent was similar, brand trustworthiness between the two is similar. Not all class D and A/B are made the same, replace that DD with a ppi and youll be one unhappy camper.
**** will always be ****.

Class D got a bad name from the start with the garbage Alpine PDX. It wasn't Class Ds fault. That amp line was just bad.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.