buying an amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

cjr

I'M REPLACING A HIFONICS AMP THAT WENT BAD. I'M GOING TO USE THE AMP WITH A NEW PAIR OF BOSTON ACOUSTIC RC820'S 275 WATT MAX.(MIDS/TWEETERS) I WOULD LIKE TO GET AS CLOSE TO 275 WATTS AT 4 OHMS AS POSSIBLE FOR $300.00 OR SO. I WANT A GOOD CLEAN AMP AND HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT HIFONICS Z600, XI THOR, JL AUDIO 300/2, MTX T6304, AND HIFONICS APOLLO SON OF BOLTAR . THE SPECS SHOW THE JL AUDIO TO BE CLEANEST .O2THD, BUT I DON'T KNOW IF JL MAKES A "GOOD" AMP. I'M OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS/COMMENTS.

jl would make a good choice. idon't know if they make a "bad" amp. for the price they offer a lot of features and quality.

My two cents worth here is for pure midrange and hi freq detail/extension& clarity at not too high a price(although they're not REAL cheap), it's hard to beat the "true blue" Cadence Ulrashock series amps from a couple years back--I've had more amps than I care to admit, and my A5000+ is so clean sounding it's scary--you feel like the vocalist is in your car! As far as the THD figure, I strongly caution you and others not to be misled into thinking that it's a very significant indicator of an amplifier's sound--it's just something the industry has adopted as a standard. There are countless articles in audio magazines that go into the particulars about this, and sadly, many of the more meaningful indicators are either never listed or not even known about by users--ever heard of slew rate or T.I.M.(transient intermodulation distortion), for example?? It has been demonstrated that your ears are far more sensitive to differences in these criteria than THD by a longshot--a trained ear cannot distinguish THD changes below about 2.0%, a whopping figure by any standard. If you want an amp that specs great on paper, get a sony explode--then you'll understand why those specs are meaningless, 'cause they sound like CRAPOLA!!!

Originally posted by dcsoundguy My two cents worth here is for pure midrange and hi freq detail/extension& clarity at not too high a price(although they're not REAL cheap), it's hard to beat the "true blue" Cadence Ulrashock series amps from a couple years back--I've had more amps than I care to admit, and my A5000+ is so clean sounding it's scary--you feel like the vocalist is in your car! As far as the THD figure, I strongly caution you and others not to be misled into thinking that it's a very significant indicator of an amplifier's sound--it's just something the industry has adopted as a standard. There are countless articles in audio magazines that go into the particulars about this, and sadly, many of the more meaningful indicators are either never listed or not even known about by users--ever heard of slew rate or T.I.M.(transient intermodulation distortion), for example?? It has been demonstrated that your ears are far more sensitive to differences in these criteria than THD by a longshot--a trained ear cannot distinguish THD changes below about 2.0%, a whopping figure by any standard. If you want an amp that specs great on paper, get a sony explode--then you'll understand why those specs are meaningless, 'cause they sound like CRAPOLA!!!
Funny you bring up the Xplod Specs- on paper they are even better that those of a McIntosh Amplifier.

Anyone care to guess which one actually produces better?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Also going to have to agree with the Cadence and JL Audio Amplifiers as a first choice here. Tried and true, some mighty fine amps!

One other suggestion would be to look into a brand called Synopsis Audio. Very high quality- yet not mainstream marketed in the US yet. Go to http://www.soundillusions.net and look for a member on the forum named jlaine. He is the site's administrator, and an authorized Synopsis dealer. It will definately be worth your time.

Take it easy,

-zane

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.