bumpin up the powa

Participant count
  • Participant list

Bobby322
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
TX
I've got stock under hood battery, big 3, and a big c&d battery in the back. I used to have an aq2200 running @ 1 ohm and my electrical did alright with it. Only time voltage would drop low is if I wang on it when I'm at idle (kinda ***** if im trying to demo). Im changing up my setup and looking to do 3k @ 2 ohm. How much will the extra ~800w effect my electrical? Will I still be okay? Definintly will add a battery or upgrade the under hood later down the road.

nope, have the stock alt. If i can get one used for about the same price as a battery costs, then ill upgrade it. I only have 1 power run though...how big of a difference will adding another run make? Its a daily system and rarely puts up numbers

nope, have the stock alt. If i can get one used for about the same price as a battery costs, then ill upgrade it. I only have 1 power run though...how big of a difference will adding another run make? Its a daily system and rarely puts up numbers
You should just stop now. If your not willing to put in the money to beef up your electrical, then don't bother trying to run with the big boys. Not trying to be a dick, but you can't expect to run that kind of a system off the stock alt for any length of time.

Alright ill check them out. How many amps do I need for 3k?
Hard to pinpoint exactly how big to go, speaking from personal experience, I know ~225A works fairly well provided you have a decent battery setup (2 or 3 good batts)

I really doubt 3 batteries and a HO alt is necessary for 3k
You need at least one more deep cell battery. Or replace the current one with a higher amp battery. And you will need a HO alt. Your vehicle is using at least 70% of the stock amps. Adding another 3k to that is going to kill your electrical system.

I had a 130 Amp alt that wasn't even enough to power 700w RMS. I also had a new 800 CCA battery and upgraded a couple factory wires under the hood to 1/0 AWG. I used 1/0 AWG for my power and ground to the amp also. I had voltage drops as if I never even did any of the above.

I really doubt 3 batteries and a HO alt is necessary for 3k
That's why your asking for help remember? Because you have no idea. I'm running 3kw right now. Running it on a 225A alt, with one deep cycle battery can and will blow your amp, trust me. You will need AT LEAST 2 good batts, 3 would be better. Like I said before, if your not willing to spend the cash to make sure your car can handle it, then just stop now. Your car isn't meant to be able to produce that much power. I mean, at full draw were talking about 300A here, what makes you think your stock ~100A alt can keep up with that? Especially considering you can't draw 100% from your alt because your car itself draws power...

If you aren't in the SPL lanes, you won't notice the difference //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

I think bubba thinks im trying to pull every last .01 db out of my system. It is/will be tuned low for loud daily driver. Maybe more cone area is a cheaper/louder route to go, instead of spending the $$ on electrical.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Bobby322

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Veteran
Bobby322
TX
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date