Bro says, "what if i pull out that blow thru and put a box in the cab?"

Participant count
  • Participant list

germanyt
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
So of course I'm like, when do you wanna go get the wood?

This is what's currently in his truck.

These are the figures of the current enclosure. It's bangs but I feel like the response could be a bit better. It'll get low but doesn't hit the 40s-50s as well as I'd like. Not sure exactly on the frequencies and it may just be the subs themselves.

So this is the plan. Pull the back seats out and go subs face down, 4 wide, port from driver to passenger side with 4 12 inch x 12 inch plexi panels with purple leds showing of each driver. All black carpet like I was mentioning in my other thread about the box for my car. Amp beauty panel and batteries down low behind the front seats where there is still plenty of clearance.

So I know I scribbled all over this.

So my question is what changes will adjustments in the sealed an ported sections get me? The box is at just under a 2:1 ratio now. Should we go a tad smaller on the sealed to say, 4 cubes and then go 3:1? Or increase sealed and shrink the ratio? Let's say The Weekend and decaf is a common music choice but don't want to sacrifice too much in the way of upper frequencies. Also, I've yet to build a setup that does a legit hair trick. Which direction should I lean?

Could have worded the title a bit different...

On the top stats, it just says "Bro says, "What if I pull out..." //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rotflol.gif.b453361716769b8110ddefc85ff03cd2.gif

Are you going to end up with more space in the cab or bed?

How do you plan to fill the gaping hole in the bed and cab from the blow through?????

Iam also in the same boat wondering if I should do a smaller sealed chamber and high ratio or larger sealed chamber and low ratio.

From what I've gathered, you'd be best off making the sealed section smaller and then studding with polyfill to "seemingly" offset how much you've shrunk it. I read that you get a larger passband when you do this for some reason. So basically, you'd play a little higher and lower. Might not be as peaky.

Let me know how it goes if you do try this

Could have worded the title a bit different...
On the top stats, it just says "Bro says, "What if I pull out..." //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rotflol.gif.b453361716769b8110ddefc85ff03cd2.gif

Are you going to end up with more space in the cab or bed?

How do you plan to fill the gaping hole in the bed and cab from the blow through?????

Iam also in the same boat wondering if I should do a smaller sealed chamber and high ratio or larger sealed chamber and low ratio.

From what I've gathered, you'd be best off making the sealed section smaller and then studding with polyfill to "seemingly" offset how much you've shrunk it. I read that you get a larger passband when you do this for some reason. So basically, you'd play a little higher and lower. Might not be as peaky.

Let me know how it goes if you do try this
****. That thread title is terrible isn't it? The blow through hold is gonna get welded shut front and back.

This build is gonna take a while. I work on boxes after 10 hour work days so this one will take 2+ weeks but I'll keep everyone up to date and then post vids.

Arnt sound qube woofers better suited for ported? I'd do a ported flat wall.
Nah the HDS3 is fine in ported but also quite the 4th order woofer. These 4 12s at 40hz are probably the loudest 4 12s ive heard. And they could take twice the power he's giving them.

The most difficult part of this aside from choosing a ratio and volume is deciding what to do about the plexi. I want 4 12x12 windows showing off the motors with edge mounted leds. I can double up the front of the box and cut out 12x12 4 times and chamfer the edges with a big angle chamfer. Then rout out the inside of the windows 3/4 inch and drop in a 1/2 inch polycarbonate. Then use an insert behind the poly to help hold it in place. Gonna take some thought.

Yea im not sure its a good thing or a bad thing that its gotten few clicks.
You going to Scrapin?
as soon as i get this driver finished and i get it in my ride ill be going everywhere..

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 PM ----------

FYI topic looked like i got a chick preg topic.. lol

50-60 hz tuning? fart box?
its already kinda like a 40hz fart box from what he describes.

Think it should go higher into the 40s? With the same ratio?
yeah it should. If you make a smaller ratio, the bandwidth will just narrow even more but will get louder. If you want, you can shorten the port while shrinking the port area keeping similar tuning but less port area. These subs dont have that much displacement so going crazy with the port area is not gonna help bandwidth.

its already kinda like a 40hz fart box from what he describes.

yeah it should. If you make a smaller ratio, the bandwidth will just narrow even more but will get louder. If you want, you can shorten the port while shrinking the port area keeping similar tuning but less port area. These subs dont have that much displacement so going crazy with the port area is not gonna help bandwidth.
I was kinda leaning toward 5 sealed, 10-12 ported with 190 sq in port at 40hz. How does that sound?

You need to build the shell and then the sealed side. Put woofers in and run a sweep. Find the res freq and then tune the ported chamber to your res freq.... Most people shoot for a res freq between 45-49... Hope you get it figured out soon.
This will be extremely difficult. I'm in a position where I have to built the entire enclosure, mount and wire the subs, then call my bro over for the vehicle to install it. I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the tip.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.