Bringing Car Audio Beyond the Car. Ice Chest Speaker System

BulldogSr04
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Well I went to a party a while back and saw one of these and was amazed at how loud it would be. I then realized that me and my friends had some leftover speakers and maybe I could make one of these myself. I was bored in english today and I made up my plan to make it work for a home audio stereo system too. Here is what I am thinking:

HU: my current pioneer HU, i will replace the one in my car with something new

A pair of infinity 5.25's

A pair of 6x9's in the $75 range, maybe infinity or pioneer

2 RE 8's

a Kicker 600.4- one channel for each 8 then the 5.25s in one channel and 6x9s in one channel. I have to make sure that they are 4 ohm speakers. If the 5.25s are 8 ohm i may add a pair of infinity tweeters to the system.

(how fast would 600 watts drain a car battery?)

I have a battery for inside to make it portable and it will be running everything. I will probably use a terminal from a subwoofer box so i can hook up an outside power source to the battery without having to keep the lid open.

I am going to get an FM modulator for RCA input to run my tv's sound off of.

And finally I will wire 2 of the channels from my HU to an outside terminal for surround sound speakers.

Do they make a transformer to convert the power from my wall outlet to 12v?

I know they make one the other way

And I will probably add a neon light to the side and paint it a cool color to drift away from the ice chest look.

Tell me what you think of this, I need some criticism to improve my design before I buy everything. I do not want to spend a lot of money but I want it to sound good and loud for parties.

sounds like a sweet idea...but r u like puttin speakers in an icebox??? kinda like it would be a subwoofer box...thats a sweet idea....like if i put some 10's in the front and closed the box, it would be like a sealed box, and then open it, and its ported....yeah buddy thats a money saver right there! Well i dont know....just try it how u said it should work....get some pics on here when u r done

Why don't you just get a suction trunk? My sister has one on her Caddy, and even with a not-so-decent system, it sounds ****ing tight cause its clear.

-Alex

FalconXtreme: I am disputing whether or not i can make it functional to hold beer and stuff in it. My friend thinks he can make it work but we are discussing it right now.

Jbarbier: That sounds cool, When the RE 8's go on sale for $33, i'll pick up 2 of those and get the kicker off of ebay. I am looking for some 6x9s for it also and then I would have everything.

Does anybody know how fast a HU and a 600 watt amp would drain a car battery?

I am guessing it would drain in about 45 min. If you CAN....I would fit 2 batteries in there and just plug em up to a battery charger at night so they are all charged up whenever you need to go somewhere //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif That is a pretty cool idea though. I hope to see pics when ur done //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif How big will this ice chest be?

Will

Changed up the plans a lot. I attached my diagram. It will be functional to hold beer //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif . The 600.4 has been replaced with a JBL 80.4 to save battery life. The diagram is fairly rough but if you have any questions I will answer them.

I will be getting 2 electronic crossovers like the one that comes with component systems for the 5.25s and the tweeters. If anybody wants to sell me some of these for a good price i would be gracious.

The section with the amp and battery will be covered with a chamois while the ice and beer will be in it. I will cut a piece of 1" thick rubber and seal it off to divide the ice chest in two and use metal braces to prevent it from caving in. If anybody wants to chime in with some other ideas that would be cool.

I am open to criticism

get your magnifying glasses ready, the 30k max killed me, i had to downsize

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.