Bracing with 2 X 4's???

Goldtaz1
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Guys, as of lately I have been bracing my boxes with 2 X 4's and they sound fine to me, but I have been reading that it can cause some bad things to happen inside of the enclosure so I just wanted to get some technical feedback about using 2 X 4's to brace?

i didn't know it messed up anything, that's what i used in my box also.....
Like I said, it was just some things that I had been reading as of lately. My boxes sound fine as well and I have built well over 50 enclosures that utilize 2 X 4's as bracing, so I was just confused as to why someone would say that it would "mess up" the acoustical environment in the enclosure.

I really don't think .17 of a cube is going to make a huge accoustical difference, even if you don't factor it in... but to be safe it's a good habbit

Forgive me for saying, but that would be like saying that you don't have to factor in port displacement or woofer displacement in an enclosure. It is absolutely necessary to factor in bracing so you will be as close to the desired volume and tuning frequency as possible.

from what i understand, the 2x4"s resonate really badly or something....Ive never used anything besides all-thread my self....gonna use 2x4"s soon, but use the on the outside of the box.

from what i understand, the 2x4"s resonate really badly or something....Ive never used anything besides all-thread my self....gonna use 2x4"s soon, but use the on the outside of the box.

And that's exactly what several other folks have stated, but I cannot tell the difference in the sound. Maybe I just don't really understand what I should be listening for???

i dont i heard it can change your overall output or sumthing like that because remember, its ported so theres moving air and that changes the direction/pathway of it.

Edit: Just what i heard tho, in no way am i saying its factual

i dont i heard it can change your overall output or sumthing like that because remember, its ported so theres moving air and that changes the direction/pathway of it.
Edit: Just what i heard tho, in no way am i saying its factual
your correct, but as far as an audible difference besides sheer output..i dont think you'll notice a thing. if its a daily install you should be fine //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.