Box and Plexi Advice

SirSteve
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
USA
I built my box out of 3/4" MDF and had a 3/4" plexi-glass cut and drilled with countersinks every 3". Do I just screw the plexi to the box or do I add some sort of gasket in between it, like foam weatherstripe since I don't want to crank down the plexi and risk cracking it? If I add the weatherstripe, how thick should it be? 3/4"? 1/2"?

Originally posted by SirSteve I built my box out of 3/4" MDF and had a 3/4" plexi-glass cut and drilled with countersinks every 3". Do I just screw the plexi to the box or do I add some sort of gasket in between it, like foam weatherstripe since I don't want to crank down the plexi and risk cracking it? If I add the weatherstripe, how thick should it be? 3/4"? 1/2"?
no....no weather strip, but silicon or liquide nails is a good idea....silcon if it needs to look nice around the egdes, otherwise liquide nails will do a better job.

I cannot do that because if something were to happen to the speakers (or neon), the box would be ruined as I wouldn't be able to get it back opened. That's why I though the weatherstrip might work.

if your using 3/4" plexi then use chemical bonding to get that SOB to stick hehe. basically have another way in your box if you think the neon or the sub will get messed up that's my opinion.

adam

if you use silicone you could still un screw the glass. and why wouldnt you be able to take the sub out of it got messed up?

If you want it removable you could use a rubber gasket material (possibly get it at an auto store by the sheet). I would also use something like stainless allen bolts with washers to help prevent cracking, pluse it would look nice. You could countersink a threaded sleve, kinda like drywall anchors but ones that would hold up in wood.

yeah 1/2" hex nuts and washer's is what i used to secure my bracing in my box they rule. i doulbe bolted mine inside and out to make sure they woudln't slip.

adam

Originally posted by SirSteve I cannot do that because if something were to happen to the speakers (or neon), the box would be ruined as I wouldn't be able to get it back opened. That's why I though the weatherstrip might work.
why does that side still need to come off.....whats wrong with unscrewing the speaker? and even with silicon it would be removable, I wouldn't recomend taking on and off all the time since after the 3rd or 4th time the screws wont hold at all.

My subs are firing down with a plexi front. I have screws every 3" around it. So no one recommends the foam weatherstrip? I found it in 3/4" and smaller.

Originally posted by SirSteve My subs are firing down with a plexi front. I have screws every 3" around it. So no one recommends the foam weatherstrip? I found it in 3/4" and smaller.
still dont understand where the problem is....personally i vote no to the weather stripping.

I just don't want to make the plexi-glass a permanent attachment in case a sub goes bad or the neon blows up inside of it... My screws for the speakers are screwed from the inside of the box.

Originally posted by SirSteve My screws for the speakers are screwed from the inside of the box.
why?

whatever....not really my bussiness, anyways I had a similar setup, cauk is not perminate, I pulled mine off twice to fix stuff on the inside, its not easy to pull off, but you do have acess to the inside without ruining the box.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.