Bought a 300zx today

I had an 85 Nissan 300zx.
As much as I loved it, I hated it. Ran like a beast for awhile and then bam, shot a rod, lol! They wanted 3400 dollars to fix it.............sat for years in my back yard. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
That's why car guys do their own repairs and upgrades.

I'm not sure if there's any good places to run my power wires without drilling. I'm going to have a fun time figuring out what to do with the doors. Problem is that I start school again next month, so funds will be somewhat limited. Need to buy a jigsaw.
Thinking of fabbing a big ass baffle out of cutting board and putting it on with non hardening clay, and going over the top of it with rammatt. The bose speaker enclosure is going to leave a good sized hole that has two wire looms that run out of the top corner of it.

Have to go to bed. Will post up some pics, if only cell phone pics, tomorrow.
I don't know about a '90 one... but on the '86 (older model :/), the battery was in the back left corner (looking towards the engine), and on that side with the door, there was a small notch where it was possible to run wires through,and enter them into the doorway and down into the carpets without affecting how the door opened. Covered in black tape (gorilla tape ftw), the wires weren't noticeable, and we avoided drilling.

Problem is for anything big, you'd have to make multiple runs of smaller gauge. I don't think 1/0 would fit, and we didn't even try 4, we just used the six gauge, since it was only an amp for his four speakers running around 300 rms.

I'm not sure if there's any good places to run my power wires without drilling. I'm going to have a fun time figuring out what to do with the doors. Problem is that I start school again next month, so funds will be somewhat limited. Need to buy a jigsaw.
Thinking of fabbing a big ass baffle out of cutting board and putting it on with non hardening clay, and going over the top of it with rammatt. The bose speaker enclosure is going to leave a good sized hole that has two wire looms that run out of the top corner of it.

Have to go to bed. Will post up some pics, if only cell phone pics, tomorrow.

Z32's and Z31's... go to the passenger floor board, remove carpet, unbolt ecu...there is a grommet you can pass wire into engine compartment right there...

Z31's have 6.5"s all the way around

Z32's have 4" front, and 6.5" in back with the Bose system... Clarion Active is 6.5"s all the way around... Bose also gives you a center channel....

I have done 2 tens, 2 twelves, 2 fifteens, 4 tens... 3 tens... all sound good in them and get loud!

Want any more help on these cars, just ask...I have had the pleasure of owning an 84 50th, 2 85 NA's, an 86 Turbo, and a 93 Twin... so just ask //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I don't know about a '90 one... but on the '86 (older model :/), the battery was in the back left corner (looking towards the engine), and on that side with the door, there was a small notch where it was possible to run wires through,and enter them into the doorway and down into the carpets without affecting how the door opened. Covered in black tape (gorilla tape ftw), the wires weren't noticeable, and we avoided drilling.
Problem is for anything big, you'd have to make multiple runs of smaller gauge. I don't think 1/0 would fit, and we didn't even try 4, we just used the six gauge, since it was only an amp for his four speakers running around 300 rms.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^DONT DO THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Battery is in the same location on both body styles, Z31 and Z32

For the most part, their being very anal about details over there. I'm not really tripping about it. Found out my liscence is ****ed till the beginning of october. I highly advise against driving after eating a handfull of meds. I'll grab what pics I do have and post them in a second. Have to get off my phone and get on my work computer.

Still going to get a bit of paint work done and some upholstry work. Found a couple of places to run wires though. Either under the fender or under the car with the brake lines.

For the most part, their being very anal about details over there. I'm not really tripping about it. Found out my liscence is ****ed till the beginning of october. I highly advise driving after eating a handfull of meds. I'll grab what pics I do have and post them in a second. Have to get off my phone and get on my work computer.
Still going to get a bit of paint work done and some upholstry work. Found a couple of places to run wires though. Either under the fender or under the car with the brake lines.

See posts above your last one....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^DONT DO THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Battery is in the same location on both body styles, Z31 and Z32
Understandably, your way is better.. but is there something wrong with this in particular?

Missed that way to go when we were working on it. Most likely because he was unwilling to pull up carpet, he was anal about not touching anything.

Understandably, your way is better.. but is there something wrong with this in particular?
Missed that way to go when we were working on it. Most likely because he was unwilling to pull up carpet, he was anal about not touching anything.

Yeah ...your way can burn a car down.... Im not trying to be a dick here, but doing it halfassed is still halfassed...

There are tons of what if's and different scenarios that I could point out that maybe you would understand that the way you said to do it isn't going to work...and be SAFE!... key word...

Like I said...Not trying to be a dick...but if you are going to do it, its always worth doing it right the first time...

It wouldn't burn the car down. It was used this way for quite a while, and is still being used. The wires are all wrapped, there's no pinch points, and it doesn't rub against any sharp metal, merely is against the smooth metal surfaces. I made sure of this beforehand - I didn't want the car burning down. I'll point your way out to him, however, and we can rewire it in a few days though. It'd understandably be much cleaner and more reliable. Not trying to advance my own methods - just I don't see any downsides beyond the ghetto approach. It's true, it's worth doing right though.

I owned a 90 300zx non 2+2. I had two twelves (RE Audio SE V1) in the back, filled up the entire area. The install was the easiest I have ever done. Battery in the back make it a breeze. Having such a large box got old after awhile and I cut it down to one 12 (back when Edesigns had that O series that was flat) in a sealed enclosure. I enjoyed the single 12 more. The back hatch rattles like hell, definitely need to do major deadening to get it in line. Foam mat too between the plastic pieces is a must.

Loved the car, but moved on to something a bit newer.

I owned a 90 300zx non 2+2. I had two twelves (RE Audio SE V1) in the back, filled up the entire area. The install was the easiest I have ever done. Battery in the back make it a breeze. Having such a large box got old after awhile and I cut it down to one 12 (back when Edesigns had that O series that was flat) in a sealed enclosure. I enjoyed the single 12 more. The back hatch rattles like hell, definitely need to do major deadening to get it in line. Foam mat too between the plastic pieces is a must.
Loved the car, but moved on to something a bit newer.
Whatcha got now //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.