bottoming out? or what

caraudio93
10+ year member

Maine
im pretty new to the car audio scene, and i go my system set up a few days ago. the sub is an audiopipe tsvr 15, and the amp is an audiopipe apsm-1300. the sub is 500wrms and i have it wired for 2 ohms, and the amp is 600w rms @ 2ohms. Today i turned it up quite loud and it made like a popping sound. I thought this was the sound of it bottoming out, but how is that possible, the HU volume was only on 40/62, and the remote bass nob wasnt even half way up. Since the sensitivity on the amp is .2v-5v, i turned the gain up a little less than half, because my HU rca's are 2.2v. why do you think it would make this sound and also. how do i know when i'm pushing it too hard? it's in a sealed box so i can't smell it. And is it possible for the amp to be putting out more than 500 watts rms at the settings described above? thanks guys.

you probably fried it. you gave the sub a clipped signal that eventually fried the sub. combo of a dirty signal and lack of electrical
skepticalHippo.jpg

i doubt its fried. it still sounds clean and good. the air leak however, i didn't even think of, and since i only screwed down like 5 out of 8 holes due to frustration with the MDF material, that is a much more likely possibility. but is there a way to tell when i'm giving it too much power? I haven't even come close to turning it up all the way, today was the loudest it's ever been.

your amp will not overpower your sub period....only way you'll wreck those subs is by using bass boosting stuff on the amp/HU

Granted you might use bassboost and have no problems as well, but thats makes ur subs work like they aren't supposed to and sends them distortion usually.

bass boost on amp is always off, i have never turned it on. HU might have some slight adjustments definitely not more than +1 or +2 on the bass. I will turn them off right away. And I will also screw down the rest of the screws. I'm not too concerned about this, seeing as that was the first time i've even had it remotely loud. Thanks for the help guys. and 2ain2thunder, are you sure that amp wont overpower the sub?

bass boost on amp is always off, i have never turned it on. HU might have some slight adjustments definitely not more than +1 or +2 on the bass. I will turn them off right away. And I will also screw down the rest of the screws. I'm not too concerned about this, seeing as that was the first time i've even had it remotely loud. Thanks for the help guys. and 2ain2thunder, are you sure that amp wont overpower the sub?
Well the clipping is understandable it wouldn't really be from overpowering the subs though. Those audiopipes will do their rated power....but not very cleanly, you can definately get clipping from them. Recheck your gain setting, maybe back off the gain a little bit. Just be careful with it and see what sounds clean.

Well the clipping is understandable it wouldn't really be from overpowering the subs though. Those audiopipes will do their rated power....but not very cleanly, you can definately get clipping from them. Recheck your gain setting, maybe back off the gain a little bit. Just be careful with it and see what sounds clean.

how are sundwons with clipping? if ur familiar

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

caraudio93

10+ year member
caraudio93
Maine
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from