Boston Pro 6.5's 4ohm? or 3ohm?

Participant count
  • Participant list

DrSatan
10+ year member

Hey,

Does anyone know if the Boston Pro 6.5 is a 4 ohm driver or a 3 ohm driver??(without the passive crossover) I am using an Audio Control 3XS to cross-over my Boston Pro 6.5's and I have two on each side, so I am concerned that if they are a 3ohm driver I am running at 1.5ohm's. I can’t find any 411 on their website. Anyone have any idea? Thanks in advance!

It is a 4 ohm driver. Where did you hear that they would be otherwise?
He's right, I checked the website last night and thats what it the set is rated at. They don't really say on the website what the individual drivers are rated at.

Adam

Hey,Does anyone know if the Boston Pro 6.5 is a 4 ohm driver or a 3 ohm driver??(without the passive crossover) I am using an Audio Control 3XS to cross-over my Boston Pro 6.5's and I have two on each side, so I am concerned that if they are a 3ohm driver I am running at 1.5ohm's. I can’t find any 411 on their website. Anyone have any idea? Thanks in advance!
Did you purchase the extra pair 6 1/2s seperate from the comp set?

Adam

Nah i just run 4 of them on one amp and the 4's and tweets off another amp. I am not using the passive crossovers.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/scared.gif.f134e57c6c93ccd0f15aa5ac32c7d4a0.gif If I were you I would definitely use the passive that came with the set. That passive is tailored exactly for those drivers. Your AudioControl is not. Not to take anything away from AudioControl but the passive has all the right slopes that will work perfect for those drivers as well. I would run the passive with 3 drivers off one amp and the 2nd pair of 6.5s off the other amp. Thats just me. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smokin.gif.f1dc8d2acb1809e863ebd6a47eaa0d45.gif

Adam

The speakers are probably nominal 4 ohm, but the Zobel network in the passive levels them out at 3 ohms. Pretty typical.

If you are actively crossing the stuff over, then there is no problem. The passive that come with a set of speakers use a Zobel network to keep the change in the speaker impedance over its response from affecting the crossover point. An active crossover is a better solution actually because its frequency is not dependant on the impedance of the speaker and it is stable at all power levels while the crossover frequencies for each component (mid/tweet) shift toward each other creating overlap and a bump in the freq response around the desired crosover freq as the voicecoils heat up and the impedance of each driver increases.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.