Bondo + Acetone + Paintbrush =....

bcarpenterfhl
10+ year member

Kiss Me I'm Shitfaced
.....best body filling job of my life. i just thought i let you glassers/potential glassers know. the paint brush conforms to every little hole and discrepency, and evenly spreads the bondo. use a 2 inch brush or wider, and lots of acetone to get it nice and runny. i wish i posted pics of the fiberglasss job i'm doing right now. by far my best work yet, but no body every seemed to interested in my past glassing jobs, so i didnt bother.

hell im intersted, Im starting my first fiberglass job on saturday. if my fiberglass mat shows by then //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

basically, brian and i came up with this like, i unno. two months ago.

i dont know if he saw it or somthing, but we posted it all over the place.

what i did, was a reagular layer of bondo and whatever, then take a glass and put acetone in there, and use a paint brush to smooth out the bondo. it will eat away the top and smooth it out nice. and it gets rid of all those gay little pinholes and whatever at the same time.

after it dries, sand it rough with some 100~220, and then mix your bondo up (not too much) and add acetone until its like a really thin cream, like whole milk, brian and i called this procedure 'milking'. then use a brush to apply this 'milk' to the surface to fill in LOTS of imperfections and it will smooth itself out because its runny enough, but not too runny that it will still stick //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

.....best body filling job of my life. i just thought i let you glassers/potential glassers know. the paint brush conforms to every little hole and discrepency, and evenly spreads the bondo. use a 2 inch brush or wider, and lots of acetone to get it nice and runny. i wish i posted pics of the fiberglasss job i'm doing right now. by far my best work yet, but no body every seemed to interested in my past glassing jobs, so i didnt bother.
No ****, did that weeks ago //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

NG

Even better tip is to take a a paper towel wetted in acetone and smooth out the bondo right after you put it on. This...really doesn't dilute the bondo making it less hard...or make it take longer to cure. I liked using regular strength bondo, then wiping it after applied with the acetone towel...smooths it out REAL nice. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

NG

well i found it best to actually use a good amount more than enough to fill the pinhole... that way when you sand, the acetone+bondo will sand off really easy. besides being a little bit wasteful, there is no downside.

on a side note - i was doing some bondo and i did a 40/60 split of acetone and body filler - aka way too much acetone. then i sat it out in the sun. the bondo cracked and got sticky, and never cured completely. i gave it a day, and i did use enough hardener. so i think that if you use too much acetone it won't cure at all. . . . .

on a side note - i was doing some bondo and i did a 40/60 split of acetone and body filler - aka way too much acetone. then i sat it out in the sun. the bondo cracked and got sticky, and never cured completely. i gave it a day, and i did use enough hardener. so i think that if you use too much acetone it won't cure at all. . . . .

Thats why I don't like this mix.

I would like to see some "honest" assesments of this mix that has been used 6 months to a year later to see how it stood up over time.

I use a mud/resin/hardener mix then pour it over the entire thing. It will stick well, easily conform to everything, make sanding easy, cure properly and give excellent results. Follow this up with a glazing putty if needed and finish as desired

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

bcarpenterfhl

10+ year member
Kiss Me I'm Shitfaced
bcarpenterfhl
San Francisco/Hillsborough, CA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date