Blown glass flared ports

joeldirt
10+ year member

Integrity
Working on a project with blown glass flared ports that will be illuminated with leds... They will be inside out blown about 1/4" thick hard pyrex. Imagine the sickest blown glass pipe and translate it to ports... 3/4" acrylic face on the enclosure black or graphite laminate interior, maybe black carpet... With Solid glass rod bracing...

answers to concerns... No the glass will not resonate I have already proven this on a test.

2nd the glass will not break, crack shatter or anything else... IT is as much or more beefy then standard PVC tube ports.

cost each will be about 75 bucks per port...

pics will come in about a month or so, but I wanted to discuss the issue here just fo the hll of it. Let me know what you think of the concept.

boooooo with no pics. on the idea i dunno it sounds awesome but at 75 bucks per port plus the cost of the rest of the box, you're talking a **** load of $ for a box. it could look good but at the same time, it could end up looking funky.

They do it all the time in buidling custom aquariums with silicone. I think it'll be fine.
I actually have a similar solution... I'll get picks when I get it all done... I just wanted to throw it out there to get a feel for what this forum would give on feed back whether it would be logical or not... It wouldnt be a production model, it would be as an option for someone to want something sick and unique... The colors don't necesarily change, but there would be nothing about it other then one of a kind and unique only to JDAudiobox... Finally got the shop and slowly getting more operational... THe local market is getting utilized for sure... Looking forward to doing the internet business... Will get allot of pics within a month or two... Alls I am now is this guy without a camera doing all this **** and no way to comunicate with visual aid... That hurts for sure and I apologize for that... No worries though.

They do it all the time in buidling custom aquariums with silicone. I think it'll be fine.
Except........those aquariums that you're talking about are made of acrylic and aren't being fastened to wood.

Keep us updated Joel, I don't know where the fuk you get your ideas from //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Except........those aquariums that you're talking about are made of acrylic and aren't being fastened to wood.
Keep us updated Joel, I don't know where the fuk you get your ideas from //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I don't know I'm a nut case at times... I just found out I got adult add... While I'm at work suposed to be building a receptionist desk, I am off day dreaming about blown glass ports being as though glass blowing is my newest thing... I haven't learned how to do it yet my self, but my friend has been blowing for his own business for over 10 years and is going to set me up in a booth to do some random **** for him, and I can do my own **** too...

Actually... It's hard to explain how I am going to be making the mounting flange for the glass... The glass is going to be formed into a mold at one end of the flared port so that it exactly matches the flange on the 1 1/2" upper wall of the enclosure... These boxes will be double walled if allowable, and used with high end high powered subwoofers... Not your every day enclosure with these... The cost of glass, torch time, and overall labor... along with the only box builder thus far with this out on the market coupled with LED's... bla bla bla... worthless without pics... I wasn't trying to show the work though... Just discuss the concept.

I would like to get a nice camera... Trying to save for a down payment on a new CNC, and just getting into a new shop kind of hinders the abilities to just get what ever I want. Maybe a 200 dollar job will work...

I actually use the same adhesive used in joining Corian... I use black... Black pigmented resin will work well also you have over 3 inches of glue surface. They don't move, and you have to really try to pry them off of the flange... They don't just come out. Once they are in there, they are in there for good.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.