Blowing DVC sub

Participant count
  • Participant list

Bryce Glover

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hey guys, like usual with a first post, I don't know the exact forum placement. But if I could get some help, or suggestions on maybe what's going on I'd appreciate the help. I've looked on the site but I can't find one for my exact situation. So I have a Kicker CompR12 2ohm as most know it is a DVC sub. I'm on my third one of these MFs. I'm matching it with the Kicker CXA600.1 which from what I've read is supposed to be a good match for this sub. Cxa600.1 creates 600 watts RMS, the sub is supposedly 500 watts RMS. On kickers website it says this is the power match to the sub. I'm on my third one, first two blew on songs with a heavy low HZ song that continually throughout the song just banged. The first sub went out on On My Level by wiz Khalifa. Try this song and you'll understand why I blew the first compr12, it lasted 6 months, I had the no questions asked warranty so I got another. Changed up the settings on my amp and receiver deck whatever you want to call it. Turned gain down on amp, no bass boost, crossover all the way down (HPF is set to 120Hz on receiver), also I have defeat off on the receiver and input on the amp is set to high. Bass is at 2 out of 6. Subwoofer level is at 8 out of 15. Gain on amp is around 1/4-3/8 turned up from 0. Blew my second sub after 4 months, got a new one again a month ago and I'm afraid to blow this one because the warranty ended. Till I get money for a better sub I need to keep this one in working order lol. So with all that said I have turned it down a ton and it sounds no where near as good as the other settings, I understand the sub isn't the best sub around, and playing it loud will eventually kill it, but I know it has more potential for the better sound than it has right now, without smoking it. Any help is appreciated thanks I'm advance. 

This "bass" setting you mentioned is a form of bass boost and by using it you are clipping the hell out of the signal and creating excess heat in the sub and blowing it. Bass should be all the way down on 0 and sub level should be all the way up. I'm also guessing the gain is too high on the amp and the sub is probably in an incorrect box. 

Long story short, stop buying Kicker subs and learn how to set gain and head unit settings correctly. 

That Kicker amp is 2 ohm stable so you are either wired 4 ohm for 300 watts or wired to 1 ohm that the amp may not like. You need as dual 4 ohm sub wired in parallel to do it right. 

Amp should be set to LO around 80 hz if using the amp crossover. If using deck crossover turn that to 80hz, 90hz,or 100hz and turn the crossover on the amp all the way clockwise. Bass boost on amp and deck to OFF or 0. 

Turn deck volume to a few down from max and sub level control to about +12 when setting gains to give you some wiggle room. 

Last edited by a moderator:
what kind of enclosure is that sub in?What are the measurements of that enclosure?These guys are giving excellent information to help.The enclosure is also important as well.

that amp is 2 ohm stable .. as stated your sub is a DVC2 ohm so if wired incorrectly you will have issues.here is a wiring diagram to wire a sub correctly to the amp with the correct sub to get the most out of your amplifier

https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/subwoofer-wiring-diagrams.asp?Q=1&I=42. A little better made sub woofer that may cost a few dollars extra should do a bit better than the kicker subs. Just a recommendation.Ive had 600 clean watts on one and its still doing great in my brothers truck in 2.0@32 htz enclosure on an Autotek BTS 7150

https://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com/products/american-bass-xd-1244-12-inch-500w-rms-dvc-4-ohm-subwoofer.html

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.