Blew out a JL 12w7 first day of purchase with a JL 1000/1 amp...how did this happen?

and by the way, for everyone that thinks it's hilarious that I spent 2k, here is the breakdown:1000/1 v2: $650 (bought online)

12w7 in High Output Box: $900 (bought at shop to get 2 year warranty). The cheapest price online for the 12w7 in the high output box was $700. The high output box makes it cost a lot more than the 12w7 on its own

Dynamat Xtreme Pack: $130 (bought online)

Remote bass adjustment (0-15 level) for 1000/1 slash amp: $50 (bought online)

tax/shipping/labor to mount amp and hook into my existing wiring: ~$200-$300

So, I don't think I was really ripped off. I could have saved a couple hundred on the sub but then I would be screwed in the situation that I am in now with the sub being blown. It was worth it to me to have the 2 year warranty via the shop for the couple hundred extra. The other prices were the lowest I could find online.

Also, I am guessing the reason that it blew is because it was playing too loud before being broken in properly? Doesn't that make more sense that blaming the shop? They seem to have a very good idea what they are doing and they said 1/3 up on the gain was correct. Does someone here think it should be something different?

One last thing is that it turned out to be a line converter that was making it sound quiet originally. Once that was removed and the speaker wire was hooked directly to the amp, the sub got a lot louder.

So my questions are:

What do I do to not blow the replacement sub right away?

What should the gain be set at?

How can I get maximum output out of this amp/sub combo in a safe way?

Any other comments are welcome.

J
Fail

and by the way, for everyone that thinks it's hilarious that I spent 2k, here is the breakdown:1000/1 v2: $650 (bought online)

12w7 in High Output Box: $900 (bought at shop to get 2 year warranty). The cheapest price online for the 12w7 in the high output box was $700. The high output box makes it cost a lot more than the 12w7 on its own

So, I don't think I was really ripped off. I could have saved a couple hundred on the sub but then I would be screwed in the situation that I am in now with the sub being blown. It was worth it to me to have the 2 year warranty via the shop for the couple hundred extra. The other prices were the lowest I could find online.

Also, I am guessing the reason that it blew is because it was playing too loud before being broken in properly? Doesn't that make more sense that blaming the shop? They seem to have a very good idea what they are doing and they said 1/3 up on the gain was correct. Does someone here think it should be something different?

One last thing is that it turned out to be a line converter that was making it sound quiet originally. Once that was removed and the speaker wire was hooked directly to the amp, the sub got a lot louder.

So my questions are:

J
Do you honestly believe you got a good deal? If you do, please stab yourself in the face with a soldering iron.

But back to the topic at hand: Never go to that shop again.

I was not playing them too too loud. What's even more confusing is that I smelled that weird smell right after driving away from the shop. The sub and the amp were both new equipment.
I don't believe you at all //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

So my questions are:

J
Yes //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Teehee, what's funnier is that you are proud of how you didn't spend $2k on the equipment, yet you spent that much on merely a substage and are probably running factory speakers.

ebay has the 12w7 for less than 600
This seems to be the biggest point everybody seems to be making......well guess what?

If he HAD bought off ebay and not from an authorized dealer that DID DO HIS INSTALL on the sub, then he would be out of a sub and more cash!!! But seeing as how he did buy authorized he's getting a new sub no cost. Now with that being said, I would definitely find out what happened to make my driver fail and if need be get hold of JL tech and let them walk you through your install to make sure it didn't happen again.....//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif:)//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

arrogant maybe but we are all telling you the same thing you messed up

you spent about double what i have in my system with about 2 times the power in my sub stage, and i have a new headunit, components, and an amp to run them...

you got ripped and there isnt any way possible for you to BURN a coil like that without listening at high volume.. a defective coil could blow but wouldnt smoke if you werent listening to it very loud

This seems to be the biggest point everybody seems to be making......well guess what?If he HAD bought off ebay and not from an authorized dealer that DID DO HIS INSTALL on the sub, then he would be out of a sub and more cash!!! But seeing as how he did buy authorized he's getting a new sub no cost. Now with that being said, I would definitely find out what happened to make my driver fail and if need be get hold of JL tech and let them walk you through your install to make sure it didn't happen again.....//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif:)//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Hello Moralfag...

This seems to be the biggest point everybody seems to be making......well guess what?If he HAD bought off ebay and not from an authorized dealer that DID DO HIS INSTALL on the sub, then he would be out of a sub and more cash!!! But seeing as how he did buy authorized he's getting a new sub no cost. Now with that being said, I would definitely find out what happened to make my driver fail and if need be get hold of JL tech and let them walk you through your install to make sure it didn't happen again.....//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif:)//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
not really its the fact that jl is overpriced period, thats at least my biggest point

and jl probably wont fix it for free the shop will most likely eat the cost but it wont be free

you got ripped and there isnt any way possible for you to BURN a coil like that without listening at high volume.. a defective coil could blow but wouldnt smoke if you werent listening to it very loud
Exactly why I said OP was full of ****...well played, sir.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.