bleeding the brakes and Master cyclinder

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jordantyler
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
arkansas
well recently my brakes went out it sticks to the floor and i was told it was the master cyclinder not quite sure but both things under the hood are full of brake fluid .. soo there isnt a leak.. if i bleed the brakes and buy a new master cyclinder and did this with some other people of course would i save money? is it a pain in the ass to do it? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif just wanted some ideas and if anyone has had the problem i have with my brakes..

It's relatively easy... But takes two people ideally.

There are small nuts on the brake calipers (the things holding the brake pads) that you open while the pedal is depressed to let the air out. It varies with all vehicles where these are located, sometimes it's on the brake line I tink.

To do tis you need to jack up the vehicle, take off the wheel. One person puts down the brake. Another person opens up one of the nuts. Leave this nut open until there is no moore air or until fluid comes out, orthe pedal goes to the floor. Close the nut, release the pedal, and then repeat the steps. Do this all tyhe way around the car at least for good measure. It's also a good time to check your brake pads for wear.

Brake fluid is toxic. It's a good idea to try to catch the fluid in a large drip pan. If any gets on the pain of the vehicle, be sure to remove it asquick as posible.

You will lose some fluid in the process. BE SURE TO BUY EXTRA! Also, don't leave the cap off of your master cylinder during this process... it will blow everywhere.

IF there is no pressure or air being applied to the fluid (when you open the valve nuts on the calipers the fluid just runs out or nothing comes out at all) then your master cylinder is bad, your brakes are no longer connected to the cylinder, or there is a blockage in the line.

if u can just do it yourself u can at least save on labor charges, std labor rate is near $80/hr depending on location and i could see that going as a 2-3hr job book time

make sure y know the problem for sure first

They also make pumps for this IIRC there like $30 at auto parts stores and make it way easier. I would flush out all of the fluid it should be changed every two years. If there are not any bubbles coming out this isn't your problem maybe a vacuum leak.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Jordantyler

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Veteran
Jordantyler
arkansas
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date