Big 3 Questions and Concerns with plenty of pictures

Participant count
  • Participant list

Sweet'n Low
10+ year member

Harshaw
I took my battery out and took a look at what i was dealing and a lot of questions came to mind.

"7) Attach the wire along the way to something that won’t get too hot and that won’t vibrate too terribly. Go ahead and connect the wire to the positive battery terminal"

102_0071.jpg

Slymosickle

102_0073.jpg

one going to my trunk for my amps

Mine already has 3 things connected to it. Is this unusal or am i just not thinking this out?

Next I'm having a hard time finding a chassis ground. for both my engine block and negative. I've got a couple ideas though.

102_0083.jpg

102_0080.jpg

are either of these good?

next

"8) The last step is the Chassis to Engine Block wire. Remember to sand both points well, just like the when you did the Battery Negative to Chassis. All you need to do for this step is to find a non-essential bolt on the engine block to attach the wire to. Non-essentials are those that don’t hold a liquid in. For example… using the Oil Drain plug as an attachment point probably isn’t the smartest place."

102_0082.jpg

Is this a good point?

Should I be concerned about the battery acid on my terminals also? I feel like i'm going to get a block anyway so i shouldn't worry about it. Also, how do I find my alternator? don't see it anywhere...

I know this is kind of a load and i still feel like im forgetting something but i'll go with this for now. It'd be a load of help if i can get some feedback. This will be my first time really going hands on when it comes to my stereo seeing that I had best buy install in originally.

i also feel that i should add that the factory alternator is 130 amp and has 4-6 gauge wiring stock, and if this is earlier than a 00 or a 00 then you should also take the voltage sensing wire and wrap it around the main charge wire to eliminate any dimming you may encounter due to factory crap, obviously high amperage aps require the proper treatments...

your engine is so tricked out compared to my stock lol hard to compare but i get the idea... did you have a hard upgrading your system with the wire locations? And how did you mount your amps to your seats? the backs of mine are straight steel (or aluminum..i think steel).

my install in a trainwreck at the moment, but i previously had self tapping screws shot into the seats...currently going with an entirely new set-up with no more rear seats but a huge flat floor!

Couple Questions..

i also feel that i should add that the factory alternator is 130 amp and has 4-6 gauge wiring stock, and if this is earlier than a 00 or a 00 then you should also take the voltage sensing wire and wrap it around the main charge wire to eliminate any dimming you may encounter due to factory crap, obviously high amperage aps require the proper treatments...
can you go into more detail about that? what voltage sensing wire?

how do you suggest i get to the transaxle for the engine block ground to chassis(or negative) upgrade? did you hook your new wire back up to the transaxle or find a new spot?

where is my negative battery ground?

what did you mount your fuses on and how? is it necessary?

where is the alternator and how do i locate its positive when i find it?

its all difficult to explain, you should take a notepad outside, pop the hood, and make notes at ideas and thoughts and different options and then make a decision mayne!

Couple Questions..

can you go into more detail about that? what voltage sensing wire?

how do you suggest i get to the transaxle for the engine block ground to chassis(or negative) upgrade? did you hook your new wire back up to the transaxle or find a new spot?

where is my negative battery ground?

what did you mount your fuses on and how? is it necessary?

where is the alternator and how do i locate its positive when i find it?
These are some pretty serious questions. The alternator is driven by the serpentine belt. Buy a Hayne's manual for your car so you can look up the locations of parts, and their installation/removal. Here is a thread that will explain the big 3 and how to make proper connections (with lots of pics):

http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1804618&page=1#Post1804618

I don't like the ground locations you showed. remove the battery and the battery tray. under the tray, on the frame, is a perfect ground location. you can trace the battery ground wire to find where it is attached, there may be more than one, the one to the frame is the one you upgrade, not the body.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.