Best amp for P2's?

Participant count
  • Participant list

supyall
10+ year member

Virginia
I'm in the market for a new amp, my MBQuart onx1000 crapped out on me after about 4 months of use... i sent that piece of junk back for a full refund.

Now i'm looking into RF amps, but honestly I have no idea wtf i'm looking for. I have 2 10" RF P2's, in a sealed box in the trunk of my 07 civic.

The specs on the subs are: 250 rms/500 peak, dual 4-ohm voice coils

I was told that the p400-1 amp is perfect for my setup, but im a little unsure. I was thinking about going for the p500-1 instead (just a little extra for future, more powerful subs). My problem is that I just do not know enough about these things... I like to understand the works of what i'm buying before i just throw some money at whatever the first "expert" suggests.

My major questions are:

What do i need to know about ohms?

How do channels work, do i need a mono or 2 channel amp?

What does it mean to have them "bridged"?

Thank you in advance to everyone with useful info

If an ONXY crapped out on you it was probably due to you having the gains set incorrectly. So just keep in mind a "better" amp may not last longer then 4months either if your gains arent correct.

That being said, for subs a mono or single channel amp is the usual. Ide stear clear of the fosgate Prime line, i liked my punch amps though

Whats ure budget? Ide check the classifieds here, you can get a great deal on some high end stuff in there. You only really need 600-800 @ 1ohm, for 200 you can get a nice 1200 or so at 1ohm. That way you have headroom for upgrades later

My budget is less than $250.

I was told that the onyx amp i had was just cheap, and that it probably never even pushed those subs. As for the gains.. I can't imagine how i could have better configured it, It really wasnt even turned up... maybe 50% overall

My budget is less than $250.
I was told that the onyx amp i had was just cheap, and that it probably never even pushed those subs. As for the gains.. I can't imagine how i could have better configured it, It really wasnt even turned up... maybe 50% overall
Most posts that ive read people like there ONXY series amps, havnt seen somthing to this nature before. But yes they are a budget amp

Theres acutally 2 sundown 1000D's for sale right now, and trust me there NOT cheap by any means. Very high end amps

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/amplifier-classifieds/535587-sundown-1000d-100-4-a.html

Both in ure bugdet //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

This is also a BAD sum bitch right here

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/amplifier-classifieds/534539-used-memphis-16-mc1000d-class-d-mono-amplifier.html

Just make sure when you get your amp, wire for 1ohm and SET URE GAINS WITH A DMM(multi meter) theres a stickie on how to at the top of this section

can i get any responses explaining some of these electrical terms? I just want to better understand these numbers that i'm looking at

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.