beat to death subject.. selecting an amp, please help.

Do you know if the gain is set correctly on your Crunch amplifier?
If it isn't, that could significantly impact how (not) loud your subwoofer is.

Do you know if the gain is set correctly on your Crunch amplifier?
If it isn't, that could significantly impact how (not) loud your subwoofer is.
the crunch amp is turned up all the way.

the planet amp is only turned up about a 1/3 of the way. those speakers sound pretty good. It looks like i just need more power for that sub. that crunch amp just can't move it.

I sealed off the ports last night and its a little better but still not moving that speaker much. i'd guess its making that speaker travel about 1/4 to 1/3 of its travel movement.. if that makes sense.

What about the crossover? Does it have high pass filter and a low pass filter? Are they set correctly?
The amps? The amps have crossovers and my head unit does as well. I have some stand alone crossovers I'm going to install for the component speakers.

With everything I've done the last couple days it sounds better but still a little distortion coming out of the sub if I push it to hard. Still seems to be coming back to needing a stronger amp which I have not purchased yet. Been busy so next week will most likely get another amp for the sub.

sorry but i'm not up on the lingo for this stuff anymore. what is AB. and impedence.. i'm not sure.
A/b is most often used to refer to the class of amplification as in Class A, A/B, D etc. I use A/b for SQ components and D for subs. Frankly, I would bail the DS18's in the doors for a better set of Morel or Focal drivers, even Pioneers new Z series will put these DS18’s to rest for sound quality and bandwidth. These particular DS18’s are not my idea of SQ wide-band midbass drivers, more like high output pro style mids. I’d use them when building an SPL system to keep up with massive amounts of BASS. Same for with use of bullet tweeters. in this instance it appears they are using AB to refer to the American Bass sub. Did you build the box to the MFG specs? I can run the specs through BASS Boix Pro and give you best box size for ported or selaed, given your limited space, that would help. Box size and type are critical to the output; you can't assume any of this, there is an artful science to it.

Last edited:
That is a dammned good sub that delivers when fed properly and within the proper environment(Enclosure, Tuned). I would recommend getting that sub in the proper enclosure. It will serve quite well ported from my experiencing with the Elite Series .Space saver ideal would be Aero-ported. A better front stage would be Ideal as well. even the Polk DB series components will sound so much better than the DS18s that are Screamers in my opinion.The MM Series are much better. A decent 2 ch quality amplifier that Ive experienced down below on those. A nice 1k-2k rms mono amplifier on the sub should serve some justice.

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and happy I finally found one.

So I am a late 40's guy who listens to everything from Christian, to country to old school rap from back in the day. I have put together a system in my Porsche and to be honest... I dropped the ball on a couple components to my set up in my opinion because I just don't understand this stuff anymore.

As of right now I have
4way planet audio(100X4) amp pushing DS18 6.5" doors and 4" rear components.
bridged crunch 2000 watt amp pushing an American bass 12"
Pioneer head unit.. very happy with the radio.

That sub amp can barely move the 12" sub. My question would be is there a 5-way amp that could push that sub plus my component speakers?

Aslo any thoughts, ideas on how to get this all tuned in for the best sound? Those DS speakers are crazy loud but to get everything to blend with the right amount of crispness, loudness and bass.. kind of eluding my brain.

Thank you so much to anyone who chimes in, very appr

So I am a late 40's guy who listens to everything from Christian, to country to old school rap from back in the day. I have put together a system in my Porsche and to be honest... I dropped the ball on a couple components to my set up in my opinion because I just don't understand this stuff anymore.

As of right now I have

That sub amp can barely move the 12" sub. My question would be is there a 5-way amp that could push that sub plus my component speakers?

Aslo any thoughts, ideas on how to get this all tuned in for the best sound? Those DS speakers are crazy loud but to get everything to blend with the right amount of crispness, loudness and bass.. kind of eluding my brain.

Thank you so much to anyone who chimes in, very appreciated.

As of right now I have

Thank you so much to anyone who chimes in, very appreciated.

Taking another look at the setup, this crunch amplifier has two 35 amp fuses, which tells me it will produce around 800watts RMS max at 80% efficiency (which is generous for this amp and most likely closer to around 600. Since you’re considering starting over or augmenting, I’ll just list options that I would consider using to replace this stuff without breaking the bank. Your current amplification leaves a lot to be desired (sorry). I just did this setup for my grandson and it kills, really! The Taramp TS-800x4 at $149.99 and the BASS 3K, 3000watts RMS@1ohm is a steal at $219 on ebay, I’d stop right there for amplification. You may not use all that power but using only half of it means that you aren’t pushing anything very hard, much better than trying to squeeze this other stuff until it pops!. These amps will trash what you have currently, in output and SQ. As for speakers, you could keep the AB sub but might want to consider going with an NVX 1500 Watt 10" Dual 4 Ohm VC series Car Audio Subwoofer | VCW104 @ $129.95, a Bbox prefab box with their 1” MDF faces are pretty good and a tiny .7cubic ft sealed and stuffed is $59-$60.00, which in your Porsche would sound simply amazing. I would plan on replacing the cheep speaker input terminals, only a couple of dollars to upgrade to decent ones. The grills for the sub are clean and run about $20.00. If you keep the Ab sub, need to ensure it is in the right box, tuned correclty and with this 3000k it would totally come to life! I know it looks like I’m pushing NVX, but honestly, I look at all options that are currently out there and I've recently used several of their speakers and they really perform like others costing twice the price. I've recently invested a lot of time researching this stuff. Check out the NVX “X” series for the front staging, excellent sounding carbon fiber drivers and German 1.1/8” silk dome tweeters in a coaxial ($129.99) or a component setup ($169.99). You could augment the fronts with their 4” VSP4, 4” coaxial units ($49.99) in the rear to round it out and not affect the sound stage in the front. If you want all the speakers to match, you could save additional $$ and use the VS series up front too. I like to same type in front and rear but it's not a big deal in this scenario. I would keep the Pio HU, I’m a big Pioneer HU fan. Use the fixed 90Hz HP for the rears, set the front channel amp setting at full and use your HU to cross them over at around 60Hz on the fronts. If I did the math correctly, you would step the entire system, in a big way for around $750.00 to $800.00 plus tax, so a complete overhaul! That’s a killer system in anyone’s car! Replace anything you have with any of these is an option too, hard to beat any of them for the value they represent.​

Last edited:
Hey everyone.. sorry I didn't get notified that i has more responses to this thread.

The porsche sold a couple weeks ago lol I'll miss it but I wanted the money to pay down some debt to position myself to get an R8 or Lambo.

I am currently putting a system in my bronco but i'll start another thread for that.

Thank you everyone who chimed, it is very appreciated.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

ttt123

CarAudio.com Recruit
ttt123
michigan
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views