Battle Of The Boom

ArcaneParadise
10+ year member

I just wanted to get an opinion from some of you car audio guys (hopefully Zane too!). Every year our school has this contest around March called Battle of the Boom and everyone that wants takes their car into the quad area and shows off their stereo to everyone. I could not drive last year but now this year I can drive and I'm getting subs and components installed within one week and I wanted to know if I am doing the right thing.

So far as judges go all it really is is just some teachers and some students that volunteer to be judges... And so far as being far... it could be merely a popularity contest in which case I would probably lose automatically
. However, if it is fair can some of you guys tell me if I would have a fighting chance with this simple configuration:

Vehicle:

1999 Dodge Ram Sport Extended Cab

Subs:

2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 10"

Components:

Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1

(2 Tweeters)

(2 Mids)

Amps:

(For Subs) Rockford-Fosgate BD1000.1

(For Components) Rockford-Fosgate Punch 200.4

I figure they do have a lot of power and if they judge on Sound Quality I oughta win no problem however they will most likely judge on SPL. Most of the people at our school are JL Audio fans. I have heard that Infinity's go lower than JL's and I know for a fact that the W3's have an RMS of 250 and the perfects have an RMS of 350 as well as an impressive 1,400 Peak Watts. I am semi-friends with last years winner and I know that he has 4 JL W3 12s in a Chevy Tahoe with an unknown amp. This kind of boils down to an Infinity Vs. JL Audio overall. I am just looking for opinions to gather but if I can manage to win this contest I'll probably cry!
Thanks very much to all that respond!!!

In my opinion which is worth much I like perfects from what I have heard but i havent actually heard them myself I go on alot of what zane says and they will put out good sq but if spl is what you need i dont think you can beat the jl's not because the brand but simply 4 12'a to 2 10's!

He's right. It's hard to overcome the cone area difference of 4-12's vs. 2-10's. It also depends on what kind of box his are in as well as yours.

But If you were going to try. I would say throw your tens in the biggest, and I mean the absolute biggest ported enclosure you can fit into your truck.

I would tune the enclosure to around 40hz.

If you want to try this and need some help send me an email and I can help you design the box.

Also will they use a mic or is this done by ear ?

And one more thing damn that's a cool school. When I was in school the only time I got to show mine off was during science class when we were studying sound waves. Scared the bejesus out of the science teacher

i agree with what the other 2 said, you won't beat any 3+ 12's with 2 10's. the selection you made is good though, but try to upsize your woofers. and if they are going to judge by spl, then you probably want a woofer that puts out more wattage than those JL's. Fosgate HE2's put out 400 rms, HX2's put out 500 rms, and Power HX2's put out even more. Kickers also put out a lot of power so you might wanna look into those as well as Vega's.

ok scrap the infinity 10s and get 3 orion xtr 12s

the ar dual 4 ohm voice coils and have an rms of 500 wtts and they will rock the hell out of any jl setup trust me i have one in the trunk of my neon and i'll give my cousin a beat down and he has 2 clarion 500w 12s in a dodge raider

#1: I can only fit 2 10" speakers in my pickup without taking up seating room.

#2: I have heard both and a Perfect 12 will beat an Orion HCCA 12 any day. (12 and 10 have the same stats but the only difference is that the 12 is 2 inches bigger than the 10)

#3: That Orion you were talking about has an RMS of 500 and the Perf has an RMS of 350 but it has the very inpressive 1400 peak and so for that split second the Perfects are 3 times better than the Orions.

#4: The Perfects have greatly superior SQ to the Orions.

I would keep the Perfects for now, unless you have the money spend on a more powerful SPL system. Based on SQ, the Perfects would provide good bass. One other problem that I can see is that you may lack mid bass (if this a SQ contest). If your front soundstage is set up properly you may be alright. But, considering the size of your bass amp versus the size of your 4 channel amp, I'd think that your mid bass would be drowned out by your low end bass and the highs from the tweeters (especially with your sub box right behind the front seats). Again, a good front soundstage can help this.

Hmm... I guess having a good mid and high will definately help me because if I can get everything syncronized then they could be so impressed with the SQ that I win. Well the Rockford-Fosgate Punch 200.4 Amp gives a little more than the RMS and the sensitivity is lower so they will be more powerful with less power going to them. I have heard reviews about the Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 compnent system and I doubt that they will be drowned out. If so I can just turn down the gain for the subs and turn up the gain for componenets but thanks very much for the advice Natem33.

You said you dont want to lose seat room, now is that in the front (im hoping)? For 150 bucks shipped you can get an Adire Tempest 15" sub. Now I have read and read and read, and I have seen several SPL scores. 1 guy scored a 154 Db with 1 15" Tempest. Now the box size is what kills yah, 4 cubes is a good solid box for the sub... Now its not the prettiest of subs, but that is surpassed by the SQ and SPL. Check it out here Adire Tempest

Just about everything on this sub is insane! 750 watts is what its rated for but read the artical... Take it easy and you deffinatly do go to a kick ass school! Good Luck!

Hey man. Thanks for the advice and oh how I would love to get a 15 in the truck but, alas, I cannot take up any seating room at all, back or front. I had to make that agreement with my mom if I were to make any sound changes whatsoever. The only thing that would fit is 2 10's. I've done my research and so far as good price, reliability, excellent sound quality, and enough spl for most people, I think I am going to go with the Infinity Perfect 10's. If anyone here can really change my mind I'd be glad to look into it but I cannot get anything higher than a 10 without using up seating space. Thank you very much for your input though.

Check out this lovely little 10", mean n nasty, those specs are pretty amazing for a 10... I understand about the space issue, and that is a tuffy, but as far as box size, its nice and small add in a port and your set. Titanic 1000 Good Luck

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

ArcaneParadise

10+ year member
ArcaneParadise
California
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from