bass rattle...

Tek
10+ year member

OK, I've had this problem for a while, but since I put in my new head unit its more noticeable. Whenever any mid to low bass hits, my 6x9 speakers rattle. At first I thought I might have blown them, but when you take them out, they sound fine. They're installed in one of those "hanging basket" things in the trunk, kinda hard to explain. You can't see them from inside the car, there are no holes in the rear deck. I think that whenever there is any bass, since the speakers are so close to the piece of material that the rear deck is made out of, it rattles. so would I be better off putting some sound deadening material on the underside of the rear deck or should I try to modify the speaker baskets so that they hang lower and farther away from the deck? any suggestions would be appreciated.

yea i know, you mean just like a piece to put inbetween the speakers and the tagboard (i think thats what its called)? If i do put dynamat or something on there, would it prevent the sound from getting to me?theres a 6x9" hole where there is no wood, only carpet, right above the speakers. I think im going to cover the whole thing except that hole.

I would liave as much open as possible. I would also sound deaden it. Chances are the sound is somewhat distorted coming through, sound deadeding will eleminate or clarify it...it may not be as loud, but it will be more clear.

I'd guess that since the 6x9 is free under the tag board (hanging in the basket, not 'mounted') that the best bet would be to find a way to 'attach' the speaker to the board.. stuff a gasket in there or something, to stop any possible movment of the speaker and make it so the board can't flex into the speaker/frame and 'rattle'..

Just my thought..

Originally posted by Tek i dont understand what you mean by "stuffing a gasket in there".
The speaker is in a basket.. right? and the top of the speaker probably isn't tight to the tag board, right? or, if the board is touching it, it can move and bounce into the top of the speaker, right?

So, if you put something in between the speaker and tag board so the board can't bounce so much and not bounce into the top of the speaker.. it should stop rattling..

Is there any reason you don't have the speakers screwed/bolted to the rear deck? that would probably fix this issue as well..

"Is there any reason you don't have the speakers screwed/bolted to the rear deck? that would probably fix this issue as well.."

because i cant just screw it in can i? The car uses a basket, not screws. i don't know, ill have to look at it tomorrow.

I had the somewhat of the same problem when I first got my subs in. When I had my subwoof output on my 6x9's were still producing. What I did was I just disconnected my 6x9's and everything sounds just fine without them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.