bass cutting out, distortion & interference

Participant count
  • Participant list

BreakingBad

Banned
pittsburgh
havent posted over here much but i would like to see if anyone here had any input on my VERY annoying issue.. nobody over @ ROE can seem to nail it down since its tough to say.. but anyway..

my system:

eclipse cd5000

us amps ax-1500de

(2) re sx 12's

optima yellow top for system

the system was GREAT on my stock 105a alternator, though it def needed a bigger alt.

so i went ahead and ordered a factory fresh 200A delco alternator.

had it installed, and ALL OF A SUDDEN my bass is cutting out, becoming distorted, not hitting as hard, sounds a shitload different..

people have said it could of been a bad ground, power wire ran next to rcas (which i dont think they are ran next to each other anyway) or just something with the alternator wires.

the guys who installed the alternator also do car audio installs, and they said that the wiring was a-ok.

i am upgrading on monday by putting another optima yellow top under the hood, and getting rid of the 2 12's and putting in 1 18" RE XXX. the company i am having do it said they are going to check all grounds, re-do all the wiring and make sure everything is secure, put the yellow top in, and just do a general check.

what does this sound like after an alternator upgrade? wiring issue? battery issue? alternator issue?

If the only thing that was changed was the alternator, it must be a bad alt, lose belt, or bad connection to the alt. The distortion and cutting out is likely from voltage drop due to less than expected current output from the alt.

If the only thing that was changed was the alternator, it must be a bad alt, lose belt, or bad connection to the alt. The distortion and cutting out is likely from voltage drop due to less than expected current output from the alt.
well if the belt was literally loose, the guys would have put a new tighter one on..

regardless i'm having everything redone on monday.. if the new battery and wires and what not don't solve the problem, i'll probably be sending the alt back.. it does have a lifetime warranty..

about the voltage drop & distortion.. how do i fix that?

well if the belt was literally loose, the guys would have put a new tighter one on..
Belt tension isn't determined by how old the belt is, theres a tension adjustment bolt for that (for most cars, for others you have to pull up on the alt while tightening it). A higher capacity alt might require a bit more tension on the belt than before. Usually they will squeal when they're too loose.

about the voltage drop & distortion.. how do i fix that?
Fix whatever the problem is, bad alt, tension too loose, or bad alt wiring. You'll know more on Monday as to which it might be.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.