BASS catstrophe

Participant count
  • Participant list

MTXwoofers

I recently installed a system in my car. It included two twelve inch MTX thunder subwoofers, together in a cab, an MTX 600XD amplifier, and all te necessary wires. I ran the power from the pos end of the battery to the amp, i attached the left back speaker of my stock sound system to the left channel of the amp, the amp to the subs in the cabinet, the ground to the grounding bolt under my removable plastc cover where the trunk closes. I even ran a manual gain dial to the front of the car. The Amp is 600 watt rms, it has four ohms resistance i believe. The speakers hve 750 watts and 2 ohms each. IF i did the math correctly than each speaker should be getting 600 watts.... WHY then; did my left sub de-magnetize? Why did the spring/coiled up wire in between the magnet and the cone unravel?? Does this even have anything to do with resstance like i think it does??? Please help ME!! (also i should note these subs have an in-line fuse in the power line and the speakers worked GREAT for well over a month......what happened?)

Time to buy some more subs. Maybe an amp also. If your amp is designed to output 600 at 4 ohms, and you ran both speakers at a 2 ohm load in parallel you clipped the **** out of your amp and in return fried the voice coil causing it to unravel and seperate from the cone. The magnet did not demagnitize though. I'm not even quite sure that's possible. Next time you must wire everything up correctly.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.