backlighting plexiglass

Participant count
  • Participant list

$$$1smiley5$$$
10+ year member

high climber
toronto
hey everybody, I am going to install a switch panel and I think I am gonna make it out of fogged plexi glass, does anyone know how to back light the fogged plexi glass? I am thinkin just put some leds behind it and it should light it up nicely. my question is should i fog both sides or one? is there a material they make for this? any tips or info would be appreciated

thanks smiley!

i was thinking of maybe finding someone to machine audiopulse into a piece of plexiglass and bolting it onto the front of my box and maybe ghetto slapping a red led light under it so itl be all sparkly.

I have a peice a bout 2'x2' and I only need about 5"x10" so I have been experimenting using a fine grit sandpaper works great I am waiting till i get my l.e.d.s to do some experimenting with the lighting

get a flexible run of LEDs .use an 800 grit sand paper to make the plexi have a frosted look. take the flexible strip of LEDs and make it into a circle and there you go. the pic was made for a Kicker SX2500 and SX 850.4

CIMG0469.jpg

If you are wanting to know about getting the frost look yourself, you can do the sandpaper or D/A sander route. Only downfall is swirl marks. But you can buff them out with some lexan polish. The easiest way I have encountered for frosting is getting some etching paste from Hobby Lobby and painting it on the entire piece and you just wipe it off once the chemical reaction is done. No swirl marks or nothing.

For lighting it, you can drill some 1/4" sized holes around the edges and put the LEDs in them and fill with some hot glue.

Just pretty much use your imagination I guess I've done some fancy things with plexi from just playing with it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.