Back in the game

DTennessee

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello I've been out of the audio world for quite some time (like 30 years) and decided to take the plunge back in. I have a 2022 chevy silverado and man did the stock system ever sound terrible in it. That was the all the prompt I needed to get back into it. I visited several local shops in my area before settling on the one that communicated the best, was the most open to listen to what I wanted and overall best gut feeling and appearance.

I stayed with the factory head unit as there isn't a replacement for it and it basically is the brain for everything. This is what they recommended and what I went with.

Applied sound dampening to all door panels
Replaced the front factory speakers with Kenwood 6902c component speakers
Replaced the rear factory speakers with Kenwood KFC 174 in rear doors
Kenwood XR901-5 amp
Kenwood Excelon P-XRW122DB 12" sub
Audio Control Lc6i 6 channel line output converter

Overall a definite improvement over the factory radio but still not exactly where I want the sound quality to be. I find that the front speakers have a ton of mid and highs that I am not able to really take out with the head unit eq or adjusting the HPF. Also to me I thought it would have more volume than what it does.

It does sound good with certain types of music, i.e hip hop or or techno but sounds not so good with 80s metal or something that drives the mid range like a certain drum beat between the bass and snare or certain vocals. The speakers want to vibrate/distort. I have went through several adjustments to find the sweet spot and have it dialed to where for my ear everything sounds the best it can with the max volume and no distortion or clipping, but something is still missing or lacking. Maybe my ear is too critical.

The installer is recommending the addition now of a DSP to help control the unwanted frequencies.

You guys are the experts and I am just a guy getting back into the game and drinking from the firehose at the moment. Looking forward to your feedback positive or negative, here to learn and make improvements!

Thoughts?

Thank you!

Return the LC6i, replace it with this:

Replace the Kenwood 6902c with these:

Replace the KFC 741 with these:

That amp is a pretty nice all-in-one option. These NVX speakers will add a bit of sparkle (the German-made silk tweeters are quite nice) and depth that I think you are missing in the Kenwoods. The AudioControl DM-608 has both the 6-channel speaker level input & 6-channel low-level output and takes the place of the LOC you have and adds full DSP to better customize the sound you like. I've actually used these components with this amp/ dsp LOC and can say the amp and speaker combination is very good.

Last edited:
The 608 DSP is the one the installer was recommending. I will check out the speakers you referenced.
The DSP is a great option but before trying that, adjust the subwoofer LPF. It should currently be around 80 Hz, try going higher as you listen to 80s music. I like some midbass coming from my sub for it blends great with the front stage and I can enjoy the wide variety of music I listen to.

Yes that mid bass punch the front stage speakers can't take it at the volume I think it should be able to handle. I have tweaked the head unit and input sensitivity on the amp to where it is optimized for max volume and clarity to my ear. It's just not near where the volume I think it should be and when I turn it up to approximately 75% there is certain drum beat/ mid frequency the front stage speaker flub/flutter/waffle whatever term you want to use. If I adjust the HPF above 120 then it's too shrill, drop below that it gets worse. The stock EQ on the head unit is pretty much zero on Mids and probably 15-20% on bass and treble. Anything beyond that it's overpowering for both bass and treble. Crank up the mids and that flub gets worse.

You will probably need to add a pair of midbass drivers to get what your looking for either under the seat or in the kick panels would be the best location for lower reponse...or you could add a front sub with the crossover set to reinforce the midbass frequencies...

Im having the same issue with my system...at first I was gonna add a jbl fuse but I'm running 2 15's and I don't think the fuse would keep up so now the plan is two stuff a 12 inch sub under the dash in the footwell on the passenger side...

It may also be hitting a null in a certain frequency that makes your stereo sound lacking...in my vue low 70-78hz falls off the table pretty hard and that takes away from my midbass response...hence the plan for a 12 on 700w up front for me...I plan to get past that null by brute force 🤣

Actually just talked to the installer with my notes above and he said maybe swapping the kenwood 6902c's for the Rockford Fosgate T2652-S component set may fit better for what I want. I see those have mixed reviews.

If your thinking of going that route, consider these for the front stage:

And these for rear fill (there almost half off):

--- OR ---

You'll find that the name usually conjures up old reliable, or, Pioneer, really? But in reality, these comps are giant killers, in my opinion, and I am picky. Pioneer speakers like the TS-DPRS and Z series, especially some of the Carrozzeria sold outside the US play among the top brands like Focal and Morel. I was a bit skeptical about the Z's, listened to them on a wall locally, no DSP, and was really shocked at how good they sound. I played them against Foal and Morel sets in the $450-$550 price range and they sounded as good or better so I bought them. Great, uncolored midbass and midrange, crisp articulate highs without any harshness, really very nice. Can't wait to go active and see what I can really do with them.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good set. I wish I was more handy at installation myself but unfortunately I lack the confidence and the tools to tear apart my basically new truck so I am reliant on my local shop for the install.

I had the 6902 component set removed and replaced with the Rockford Fosgate T2652-S components and there is a significant improvement! Way more volume and clarity with no distortion compared to the Kenwood. Now to save for bit and figure out if I want to add a DSP or not.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...