AUX in and MP3s, which HU?

Syko

MA
I'm looking to upgrade my Sony HU (one of the Xplod models from a few years ago) to something with AUX in, and while I'm at it, I figure MP3 playing would be nice also. I want to spend under $200 if possible, so I was looking around Crutchfield and found the Pioneer DEH-P4600MP that looks like it would fit the bill. Anyone have any other suggestions, or has anyone had experience with this specific HU? Mainly, I need the AUX in so I can connect a computer to the HU and play MP3s that way, but in case I get lazy and that project falls through, I want to have the MP3 capability built into the HU as well //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Alpine seems a little on the expensive side, with their cheapest (the CDA-9826) being around $180 + some godawful (~$20) shipping charge on ebay. On froogle the cheapest i found was $192.70 shipped.

But, I hear that alpine is a very good brand to go with. My only worry is the seemingly low (16w x 4) RMS power, since I won't be running it through an amp or anything, just straight into stock speakers in a 95 VW Golf III. Is this a problem? However, I'm a n00b with car stereo stuff so if I have no idea what i'm talking about, feel free to slap me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I had very similar needs as yours 6 months ago. I decided to go with the clarion DXZ835MP. The auxilery input works well with my ipod. For $220 the DXZ835MP has a lot of options that I have foud useful as I've upgraded my sound system. I recently installed two re8's in my truck and the subwoofer volume on the face plate is now one of my favorite features. The motorized flip down face and variable color display (pretty much any color except white is obtainable) add to the coolness factor.

On the downside, the display is very hoaky with the dot matrix type display. The screen savers are more intended to be laughed at (like arcade games from the early 80's) than to entertain you. I half expected to find a Pong screen saver on this head unit! On the upside, this hoakey display makes it much less desirable to friends of friends intent on taking things that aren't theirs!

This h/u has plenty of power to run an amp with its 3 sets of 4.5v pre-outs as well as the internal 52Wx4 peak wattage to run STOCK speakers without an amp. However, if you really want good sound I'd suggest pretty much any cheap profile or US acoustics amp that you can find. Either of which can be had for around $70 new and power most coaxials you'll drop in there in the future.

Alpine seems a little on the expensive side, with their cheapest (the CDA-9826) being around $180 + some godawful (~$20) shipping charge on ebay. On froogle the cheapest i found was $192.70 shipped.
But, I hear that alpine is a very good brand to go with. My only worry is the seemingly low (16w x 4) RMS power, since I won't be running it through an amp or anything, just straight into stock speakers in a 95 VW Golf III. Is this a problem? However, I'm a n00b with car stereo stuff so if I have no idea what i'm talking about, feel free to slap me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Perhaps the CDA-9813 might work for you ?

- Steve

The CDA-9813 looks nice, but I'm still trying to stay under $200. I'm debating between the "high end" CDA-9827 for around $250 total, or the Pioneer DEH-4600MP for about $200 or $180. I'm not sure if the extra money will be worth it, at least not right now. Maybe later on if I decide to add an amp or better (non-factory) speakers it would be better to have the Alpine...?

I just suggested the 9813 due to the fact that you weren't 100% sold on the small RMS rating of the other Alpine units. The V-Drive might be what you're looking for right now.

Too bad you can't get it under $200.

Honestly, I'd say to get what you really want now. Doesn't make sense to kick yourself in the ass later on. I've done this all too many times and I'm all about saving money.

- Steve

don't forget if you get that pioneer you have to buy the IP-BUS converter... i think it's like an RB20 or something if you want auxillary input with rca's... i found it on ebay for like $40.. so if i were you i'd just save up a little more and get something better than the 4600

Yeah I noticed that IP-BUS required part to get RCA inputs, but I noticed the same with the apline (at least the 9827 anyway) - you need a $20 or so thing to convert from their weird Ai-NET thing to RCA. Not sure if it's the same with the higher-end 9813...

But, I hear that alpine is a very good brand to go with. My only worry is the seemingly low (16w x 4) RMS power, since I won't be running it through an amp or anything, just straight into stock speakers in a 95 VW Golf III. Is this a problem?
isnt 16w rms plenty for STOCK speakers????

isnt 16w rms plenty for STOCK speakers????
Maybe it is? I don't really know, since I'm a newb at car audio stuff. My current sony cdx-4000 supposedly puts out 19w rms, and the alpine cda-9827 puts out 18w. I think I'm gonna get the 9827, and now I just need to find a decent price.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.