Audioque HDC18 Carnage

Participant count
  • Participant list

Justinh722
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
My buddy picked up an older model Audioque HDC18d2. I built him a box around 6.2 cubes tuned to 35 hz because he planned to run it in a mini van. Gave this monster some juice and it played decent at low volume. Sounded ok with sub up port back. Decided to turn the volume up a bit more and the sub just stopped. It literally just froze up.

We could hear the rattling from the voice coil and I instantly thought we blew it. Tried to move the cone and it was rock solid. Got it home and ripped it apart to find this. The pole piece had shifted to the side and the triple stacked magnets had also shifted. The coil is still in great shape. Ohmed out to 2 ohms. The motor is a big paper weight now. I noticed a chip in one of the magnets. Clearly it had seen some trauma at one time. Guy sold him a bunk sub.

Currently rebuilding the sub with an FI BL motor.

He said he lost the guys number. Granted he only picked the sub up for 140 bucks, but still. It was a Craigslist transaction. At least I get to try my hand at building a Frankenstein sub.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Justinh722

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
Justinh722
Mason City, Iowa
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date