Attempting first box

Participant count
  • Participant list

darkdrake
10+ year member

Darkness is me
im back again and this time im attempting to create a box for my two s12l5 to fit in the back of my cavalier. but im not good great or anything at designing a plan... and was wondering if any of you could help meaning this is my first box.

ive got dimensions:

30 1/2 width

12 depth

13 1/4 height

i would really love this to be vented and tuned somewhere about 37-40... but i have no clue how to do this... i would post my diagram so far but im telling you its very pathetic.

here ill post my cruddy plans anyway... dont laugh to hard....

untitled.jpg

alrite... are the measurements accounting for the size wood your using? what wood are you using by the way? 1", 3/4"? I assume you are going to have a divider in between the airspaces? Venting: is this the 02-04 model L5's or the new 05's? go to the kicker website and look at their maunuals, or look at the ones on the kicker website. In them it tells how big the port opening needs to be, and how long it needs to be. length is done by just putting a piece of wood that just extends the port opening, but the inside port area can be no bigger in hieght and width than the port opening. okay does this help?

02 model l5's and im planning on using 3/4 mdf. divider im not sure yet. but more than likely meaning i have 2 ventes and i dont want the subs pshing against each other. but i still dont understan the port part.

02 model l5's and im planning on using 3/4 mdf. divider im not sure yet. but more than likely meaning i have 2 ventes and i dont want the subs pshing against each other. but i still dont understan the port part.

Why not have 1 large port and the end?

okay to determine port size, you first have to figure out your box size, taking into account the airspace the divider will take up(the divider is good also for structual integrity... i reccomend it), and the wood size, and the volume the back of the sub takes up. Then we figure out port size. altho it would be much easier to make a big middle port, you'd have the actual ports be acting as the structual support.

bump please help im a newb i admit this but i thought of 2 more questions.

1. is building your own box cheaper than buying one.

2. can someone help me with diagrams as you can see im not the best renderer

I do designs, so does bcarpenterfhl, they run $10 from me at least ( I think about the same for him)...figuring out vent length and proper size is quite a bit more complicated than someone can just explain in a few words.

To answer your questions though. As long as you've got the tools, it is generally MUCH cheaper to build your own box. MDF costs about $20, $5 for some screws and glue, $10 for some carpet, $10 for a design and you've got just under $50 wrapped up in a box that would cost $250+ at most shops.

PM me if you're interested.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.