Anything as good as JL 10w6 for SQ but less expensive?

medeirosp

Hi,

I've been trolling around here for a while looking for recommendations or suggestions on a sub built for SQ. The JL 10w6 is at the top of my list but I'd rather not drop $400plus on a sub if I can help it. Every time I've checked out threads about SQ subs it always goes back to guys suggesting SPL subs so I'm hoping that doesn't happen here.

Thanks

the jl is built for powerful sq, while also being a big box brand.. they put a lot of engineering into they way thay build them..... that being said, the 2 mentioned are about the best in that category.... and i would add the infinity kappa (replaced the perfect line) does a great job at lower power. choose based on your amp...... but you can usually find nice used jl's for a steal at the pawn shop, if that's what you really want.... or eclipse (tc sounds as the brand you probably recognize).... i tend to look around town first for good used, or new before going online.

I can vouch for the w6 and the IDQ. Owned both, both are excellent.

I'm running an IDQ 8 right now as I don't need volume. Good for low power efficiency and smooth roll off aka what people here call subwoofer SQ. For car audio I'm sold on image dynamics although their company seems to be struggling.....no new products.....outdated website etc...

My cuz had a 12 IDQ in a Subaru station wagon and it was about the loudest 300 watt sub I've ever heard.

Jl w6 is also incredibly efficient and has the smooth roll off characteristics. I just can't **** the JL bandwagon ****.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, drinking and cell phone bad spelling.

All has been corrected, now that I'm at home on a computer with a keyboard.

I've also owned infinity kappa perfect 10's. They were fed alpine power and choked in a small sealed box....the dust cap separated from the cone, being aluminum this is not repairable. I'm assuming I was bottoming out, this was at a young age. I sold a kappa perfect 12 to a friend in a ported box with alpine power and he blew it within 2 months. No real conclusion here other than my experiences with them have not ended well.

Check out the Dayton HF line on parts express....they need big sealed boxes, don't even think about ported. Partsexpress.com

The trick to sealed SQ is the low end which if you look at the freq. response curve (and also listen in person) you will notice the small driver, high end, SQ sub woofers hit much lower than a mass markedted SPL small driver. They aslo tend to be very well balanced. It pretty much goes against all SPL rule for building boxes, using huge amount of power, and tunning the port into the 40's

Dayton HF

Image Dynamics Q

JL w6 --- last only because of their big box name.....no real problems with the sub

And lastly.....make sure you have the right box (use an RTA to check response)

and use a class ab amp.....seriously don't use a class D.

Best SQ sub ever made was the Exodus Shiva X2, it had the XBL^2 motor. I used one for HT and car audio, absolutely amazing SQ and had no trouble getting loud and low. An idiot rear ended us and destroyed mine, I've been thinking about finding a couple to build with again but they are rare.

The trick to sealed SQ is the low end which if you look at the freq. response curve (and also listen in person) you will notice the small driver, high end, SQ sub woofers hit much lower than a mass markedted SPL small driver. They aslo tend to be very well balanced. It pretty much goes against all SPL rule for building boxes, using huge amount of power, and tunning the port into the 40's
Dayton RF

Image Dynamics Q

JL w6 --- last only because of their big box name.....no real problems with the sub

And lastly.....make sure you have the right box (use an RTA to check response)

and use a class ab amp.....seriously don't use a class D.
You where doing good until you said the last line.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.