Anyone tried out the Aura MR52s???

Participant count
  • Participant list

acousticguitar
10+ year member

Law and Order
I was thinking about putting one of these Aura sets in my car instead of 6x9's in my front doors. Since my car is a minivan, I was wondering if 5.25's would generate sufficient midbass/mid response compared to 6.5" speakers.

My concerns:

(1) its a minivan, so perhaps smaller mids wont be able to generate enough sound

(2) i want to put a pair of the 1" aura tweets in the dash, so am thinking that the highs (from both the 1" pair in the dash and 3/4" pair in the MR52s) will overpower the mid/midbass from the 5.25" mids.

(3) perhaps waiting for another 6.5" set will provide me a beefier mid to go w/ the highs and lows.

Desertheat said that if i high pass the 52s at 80hz, the speakers should perform pretty much the same as the 6.5" Auras. any opinions regarding this? Especially if anyone has heard both or own the 52s, would be much appreciated.

I was thinking about putting one of these Aura sets in my car instead of 6x9's in my front doors. Since my car is a minivan, I was wondering if 5.25's would generate sufficient midbass/mid response compared to 6.5" speakers.
My concerns:

(1) its a minivan, so perhaps smaller mids wont be able to generate enough sound

(2) i want to put a pair of the 1" aura tweets in the dash, so am thinking that the highs (from both the 1" pair in the dash and 3/4" pair in the MR52s) will overpower the mid/midbass from the 5.25" mids.

(3) perhaps waiting for another 6.5" set will provide me a beefier mid to go w/ the highs and lows.

Desertheat said that if i high pass the 52s at 80hz, the speakers should perform pretty much the same as the 6.5" Auras. any opinions regarding this? Especially if anyone has heard both or own the 52s, would be much appreciated.
1. For someone upfront, the sound should be more than loud enough

2. What are the tweets on the dash for? If your going for imaging, I don't think that will help much, most likely just cause more cancellation than anything. Regardless 3db of treble won't make a huge difference, just cross the top pair over nice and high and maybe attenuate if they are too harsh.

3. I've had both 5.25 and 6.5's in the past and the install makes more of a difference than the actual speaker size in almost every case. I wouldn't worry about the difference too much, I don't notice a huge midbass difference until you get to the 8 inch mark. Remember, unless you are at a high volume, you'll never have to worry about the imbalance anway. I'd say the 5.25's should be adequate for a daily driver. If you aren't in a rush though, you might as well just wait. You really can't go wrong either way.

A quality 5.25 should perform well. Your highpass xover will generally need to be set higher in comparison with a quality 6.5. Trade offs CAN be better midrange extension and detail, rather than midbass response. Auras are not bad speakers by any means. I would go with them before I did extensive modification to my vehicle.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.